March 28, 2024, 08:17:58 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

The Turkeys of Thanksgiving are almost upon us!

Started by Beth 2011, November 07, 2013, 04:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth 2011

Hi Ladies,

I am approaching this year in a much better frame of mind than I have in the past.  Things are more or less the same but they are out of my control-so be it.  I am planning a dinner for a small group and I know we will also take care packages around again this year.  I am thinking positive which is hard when you have a lot of turkeys around!!!! ;) ;) ;)  I just can't believe that Thanksgiving is almost here!  I hope everyone here has a wonderful and peaceful Thanksgiving!  I am saying that just in case I don't get back here before Thanksgiving.  I am thankful to everyone here for the advice and time you take to listen and give feedback.  Ms. Luise, I am most thankful for you.   ;D ;D ;D  Happy Thanksgiving!  :)

luise.volta

Thank you, B. My gratitude has deep pockets, too. All of you are what WWU is made of.  ;D Every time someone writes that they are finding balance again...I am so thankful!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

The holidays are already here!  Snuck up on me big time!  But, I will say that I can tell for myself that they are getting easier as well because I looked at hubs last night and said, "I have a 3 day weekend....I should put up the Christmas tree!"

He died laughing because I have this steadfast rule that the Christmas decorations don't go up until after Thanksgiving!  I don't know why I have this overwhelming urge to go ahead and do it, but I realized that I am looking forward to it this year again :)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Pooh

Yep!  He talked me out of it, so I showed him!  I went and bought the makings for a new Christmas wreath! :)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

DDD has started listening to Christmas music 24/7 already - yikes! Truly a Christmas monster, lol. The Santa hat goes on the day after Halloween and stays on until well past New Year's.

I did make a lovely autumnal tablescape (is that a real word?) of fall leaves, LED tealights (love these!), little pumpkins and acorn squash. I figure I can swap out the leaves for evergreen boughs and a handful of sparkly doo-dads in a couple of weeks and be ready for the next one. No Martha S. here, I'm afraid; the simpler the better in my book.

Speaking of turkeys, I'm kind of proud of myself for not really caring about DS/DIL's plans. They show, fine. They don't show, fine. We'll have a great day with or without 'em. Wow, what a change from years past! I had to get over the injustice of it all before I could see a change. The fact is that it is an unfair situation, but there's not one thing I can do about it so I have to let it go. I'm not claiming acceptance yet, but pretty solidly resigned to it.

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

November 17, 2013, 11:36:45 AM #6 Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:38:37 AM by luise.volta
Good for you, Pen!  :) I keep wondering, in my own case, if we aren't sometimes writing a User's Manual here for human beings regarding 'Having It Be How It Is.' I have expended so much energy in resisting that basic premise. Sending love...

(P.S. I didn't say anything about having to like it!  8))

Pooh

Yay Pen!  Yep, acceptance is the key for all of us.  Like Luise said, doesn't mean we like it, doesn't mean we wish it could be different, but seeing it for what it is instead of what we wish it was is the way to healing.

I've honestly got to the point where I don't give a flying leap what DS/DIL is doing or not doing. 
Joseph Campbell

Stilllearning

That reminds me of a saying I had on my frig for a while....

"Those who anger you control you"

I guess that works for other emotions also and the truth is we decide when we are mad or hurt.

Another one I really like is:

"Don't rent them space in your brain"
Your mind is a garden your thoughts are the seeds
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.
Author unknown

luise.volta

I like that last one because when they don't pay the rent, we have to evict them and it's a huge hassle! Sending love...