March 28, 2024, 07:00:24 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

New year, new start

Started by Pen, January 01, 2013, 09:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pen

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but I do like to take advantage of the fresh, new calendar for a little attitude adjustment as needed. As the days get longer and the stress/excitement/disappointment of the holidays fades away, I dig out my affirmation cards and try to face each day with a smile and a spring in my step. Nothing has really changed in my life, lol...same old family, same old job, same old issues...but a positive attitude (even if I have to fake it 'til I make it) carries me along.

What's ahead for any of us? We don't know everything that's coming our way. Kind of a delicious mystery, eh? Let's be prepared with a healthy body, mind & spirit :) Happy New Year!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

elsieshaye

I like this, Pen.  I've done enough wallowing and being stuck, and it's time for an attitude adjustment.  I've been playing with themes for this year in my head, and doing my usual New Years thinking.  Yesterday was the day for looking back at 2012 and being honest with myself about what worked and what didn't.  Today is the day for looking forward and drawing a broad, general map of where I want to be in a year.  Baby steps.
This too shall pass.  All is well.

luise.volta

Yes! Onward and Upward!  Sending love... :)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Awww...love this Pen!

I had a friend tell me something to do for New Years and I've been following it.  Take a big jar or anything you have with a lid (I used a box) and every day, you write down something positive that happened to you on a small piece of paper and put it in.  On December 31st of this year, you get to open it and read all of them.  She says that she is always amazed at the positive powers it gives her to realize how much good has happened over the year that she has forgotten.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

What a great idea Pooh!

Along the same lines, a dear friend of mine just told me about the Mood Panda app for smartphones. You can log your mood for the day, write reasons for it, and look at a graph later so you can see what triggers the moods for you. Like a MFP for emotional health, lol.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Keys Girl

Great idea, Pen.  I've put my pedometer back on and targeting 10,000 steps a day.  So far, I'm making it and more.  I will do a 10K walk in the fall so I need to be ready.  I'm also keeping away from the sweet and junk food.  Happy New Year to everyone!
"Today I will be as happy as a seagull with a french fry." Author Unknown

luise.volta

My wonderful X-DIL and I do what we have dubbed "Miracle Lists" together on New Year's Eve. First we list all of the very special things that have happened to us in the last year and read them out loud to each other. Then we make another list of all of the special things we are willing to have happen to us in the coming year, again sharing those. Then we wrap it up by reviewing our lists we made a year ago of what we were willing to have come our way. It's astounding how many we are always able to check off!  :D

Begonia

Love that Miracle List tradition!!

Something a friend of mine does is to select a color for the year, then she makes sure it appears in her life and notices the healing energy about that color.  I picked a stone this year because it showed up to me. So it is the quartz aventurine, which has a beautiful green color and is a heart chakra stone.  My sis sent me a gift certificate and wouldn't ya know there was a ring with an aventurine stone on sale for just that amount!!  So I am reminded of healing now all the time because I am wearing the ring.  Also reminds me of my great sister. 
Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift (Eleanor Roosevelt)

Pooh

Awww..I love all of these!  Pen I would be afraid when I went to chart my moods, I would just get a message that said "Seriously?  You need chocolate!"
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

I'm too dumb for a Smart Phone!  :D