April 19, 2024, 06:40:24 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

upcoming Mother's Day pity party

Started by Pen, April 27, 2010, 05:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cremebrulee

yanno I gotta ask you girls...I would love to go get a petacure (spelling) however, it really scares me to do so, as I cannot chance infection, and I've seen some horrible things on the news about those spas not cleaning out the thingys you soak your feet in? 

Pen, have you ever gone before?  If so, what do you think....and I'm sorry, I don't mean to hyjack your thread, I just thought of this, b/c the girls were talking about petacures yesterday at work and one of them, well, her toe nails were done beautifully...

Scoop

Yes, pedicure places are hotbeds for infection and fungus.  You can ask if they sterilize their tools, but there's no guarantee that they ACTUALLY do it.  Your best bet is to ask what tools they use and bring your own.

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pen

Creme, I know women who go to a nail salon all the time and if they've had any fungus problems they haven't shared that info with me  :P Maybe they've found a good place or do as Scoop suggested and bring their own tools. Word on the street is that one salon in our town designates a set of tools for each customer and stores them at the shop, and that sounds all right. I have been to a day spa for a pedi a couple of times and it was wonderful, but it's a very reputable place that is well-run, clean and conscientious - they've been in business for over a hundred years, seriously. It's a bit more expensive than going to the mall or whatever, but oh so worth it. I'd rather go there once or twice a year than go to a fly-by-night place every week.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Marilyn

I'm leaving for my trip today,having Mothers day with YS........first time in 17 yrs.....Wooyoo! :)

Just wanted to wish every one,A very Blessed, Happy Mothers Day! :-*

Pen

Have a safe, wonderful, fabulous time. We'll be thinking of you. Happy MD!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

I just jumped into that little invisible pocket over your heart...and guess what? It's really crowded in here!  ;D

cremebrulee

Quote from: penstamen on May 06, 2010, 11:05:55 PM
Creme, I know women who go to a nail salon all the time and if they've had any fungus problems they haven't shared that info with me  :P Maybe they've found a good place or do as Scoop suggested and bring their own tools. Word on the street is that one salon in our town designates a set of tools for each customer and stores them at the shop, and that sounds all right. I have been to a day spa for a pedi a couple of times and it was wonderful, but it's a very reputable place that is well-run, clean and conscientious - they've been in business for over a hundred years, seriously. It's a bit more expensive than going to the mall or whatever, but oh so worth it. I'd rather go there once or twice a year than go to a fly-by-night place every week.

Thanks Pen, I've never gotten a petacure, but was thinking about it...I'm just so scared due to the news report I saw about it.  I've got two knee replacements and cannot chance infection....

so thank you, something I'll need to think about more..
How are you doing?

1Glitterati

Quote from: cremebrulee on May 08, 2010, 08:49:28 AM

Thanks Pen, I've never gotten a petacure, but was thinking about it...I'm just so scared due to the news report I saw about it.  I've got two knee replacements and cannot chance infection....

How are you doing?

Creme...look for a reputable spa.  Typically it's a place that does facials and massages and manicures and pedicures.  They DON'T do acrylic nails.  Alot of nail places do acrylic nails and mani's and pedi's and are in little tiny shops in the malls and the like. 

A spa is typically a bigger place, and the more established ones have their own buildings.  Yes, they are more expensive...but the difference is amazing.  Things like aroma therapy and hot stone massages and paraffin soaks for your hands and feet and facial massages and mud packs....It's yummy.  You should try one of the services some time...There's got to be something you'd like  or even love...and...this is just mo...but I find the spas are much more sanitary.

Give it a try.  Do soemthing wild.  Paint your toes purple or something. ;)

luise.volta

Oh, no! Paint your toes purple? I thought it was the toenails!!! ( ;D ;D )

Pen

Quote from: cremebrulee on May 08, 2010, 08:49:28 AM

How are you doing?

Hey, Creme, I'm OK. I haven't heard from the kids today & DH doesn't do anything for MD, so it's pretty much business as usual. I did splurge on some special treats for dinner, and I plan on going to the spa in the next couple of weeks. I'm trying to have a good attitude, but it's rough. How are you doing?
-- Annie Gottlieb

cremebrulee

Hey Pen...I'm ok to...going to visit my real mother today...
I really miss my foster mom...and my son's in Afghanistan...he called, my DIL and I spoke, and I spoke to my Lovely GD...I made myself french toast for breakfast...it's cool and windy here...however...it's a lovely day...

I love you, and know that your in my thoughts...wishing you a really good day...!!!!!

Pen

Creme, I'm glad you got to talk to your loved ones. Have a good visit w/RM. I'll be thinking of you. Have a lovely, lovely day :)
-- Annie Gottlieb

Postscript

Pen you have such a healthy attitude to all this, instead of wallowing, you are celebrating what you do have.  I'd adopt you if it were possible  :D

Pen

Thanks Creme. It was all good; DS & DIL called, DH continued working on projects that needed to get done, and we had a nice dinner. Nothing fancy, but I had a very nice day doing things I enjoy. How was your visit?
-- Annie Gottlieb