March 28, 2024, 01:08:53 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Way way off topic..but you all are wise women.

Started by Lillycache, June 04, 2012, 08:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lillycache

This has to do with roofing... I know... that is seriously off topic, but just wanted to get some unbiased opinions.

We own a 2nd home about 150 miles from here on the River.  A few weeks ago we received a letter from our Home Owners Insurance company that they would no longer insure us after October unless we get the roof replaced.

We spent the better part of a week getting estimates.  The bids went from $6700 all the way up to $23,000 (crazy). 

Anyway. The final bid just arrived, via a 2 sentence email.  This is the lowest one.  The $ 6700 one.  This guy is a handyman and the son or a neighbor.  He has put on several roofs in the area and they look pretty good.  Well we checked him out.  He has no Roofing licence.  He claims to have insurance, but has not produced the paperwork.   He says the job will take a week, and probabley not until August.

The other bid we are considering is for $9600...  This is a regular roofing company.  He gave a very professional bid detailing everything he will do.  He provided a copy of his licence AND a copy of his insurance policy.  He will do the job in 2 days and will start as soon as we sit down and sign the contract.  He offers a 5 year guarantee on his labor.

BUT... there is a $3000 difference.   I believe I know the way I am leaning.  Just wanted to get some confirmation on my choice.   Opinion?

constantmargaret

If you can possibly afford it, go with the professional. You don't need the worry of having someone uninsured up on your roof. I would not let anyone up there without a copy of their insurance certificate. For obvious reasons, roof work is very dangerous.

Another worry is the low bid from handyman Joe. To do the job for that much less, he might be using inferior materials.

Sometimes the peace of mind is worth the extra money.

Pooh

I agree.  If you can afford it, go with the professional company.  If he does a bad job and it's leaking six months from now, you might have a hard time getting him to come back and fix it if he's not insured.  Also, you might want to check with your insurance.  Sometimes, unless you've used a licensed company, they will not approve it. 
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

themuffin

In my opinion you can't afford to NOT go with the professional.  $3000 is well worth your peace of mind.  I would never let anyone without a license or proof of insurance work on my house.  Lord forbid something happens.  It would cost you way more than $3000.  Does option two have a warranty?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Lillycache

I knew I was thinking right... just needed to hear it from other folks..   We have contacted the professional and will meet with him next week to sign the contract and pick out the shingles  (that's the only fun part..lol!)   This day and age... 3Grand is 3Grand..  It's a lot of money.  We have it, but I want to be certain I am spending it wisely and getting something for it.   This guy will give me 5 years guarantee on his labor and a factory warrantee on the materials.  Who knows with the other guy.  AND as you say, peace of mind is priceless. 

Doe

Too late to weigh in, but would the insurance company have insured the cheaper guy's work? 

Lillycache

I don't know... all they said was "get a new roof or we will not renew your homeowners in October"   We called them and they said "sorry, It was nice doing business with you"  lol!!     I do know one thing though.. once the new roof is on, I will expect them to give me a lower premium OR I will get another insurance company.

firelight

My sister had a roof put on by her boyfriend at the time a few years back and he and his dad did it.  Way cheap....however, they since broke up and he got married and lives out of state.  They had forgotten to do 1 thing up there which was easily fixed by another friend of hers but it's a risky thing if he can't provide what you need to see to cover your behind. 

I'm all for going with the one you went with.  Wise choice....but so tempting to try to save a buck!  you do get what you pay for.
Firelight

"When you allow life to flow... without struggle... your Soul is restored."   ~z2z~

lancaster lady

Here's a scary story , people in our small town owned a million dollar house , had a small roof repaired at the back of the property. When using hot tar on a flat surface , a fire broke out . The whole top floor of the house burned down !
The builders were not insured .
Luckily the owners insurers stumped up and rebuilt the house .
Nightmare , definitely go with the professionals .

Lillycache

Update on the roof.  As we speak, they are tearing off my old roof and putting up the new boards and paper.  The back of the house was shingled today.  I don't know HOW those poor guys stand it with this heat, but they have to make their money in the summer because there is little work in the winter.   I called my homeowner insurance agent to let him know that we were having a roof put on, per his company's black mail (no new roof no insurance).   He was very pleased until I told him that he was welcome to submit his bid for my business along with the others I have been calling.  I would give him the same consideration as the others.... lowest price for the best coverage..   After all..... the roof is brand new!  lol!!

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

constantmargaret

Lilly, turnabout is fair play. You're awesome.