March 28, 2024, 02:29:25 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Good Movies

Started by luise.volta, January 17, 2012, 10:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

I am trying to learn to watch movies on my iMac (I gave my fancy TV away because I never turned it on) and I am looking for suggestions since I have been a halfhearted movie goer at best. Rose has suggested Steel Magnolias and American President. I think I will stick to DVDs for a while before I tackle online streaming, (whatever that is! LOL!) I'm into romantic comedies...and soft (not brutal mysteries.) I don't like sad stuff that makes me cry or scary stuff, either. Any suggestion will be appreciated and duly noted.  :D

When I get enough for a while...I will yell "uncle!" Thanks. Sending love and ppreciation...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

luise.volta

And I sent for Fried Green Tomatoes, too!  :D

Doe

Oh, I haven't seen it for a while, but I loved "Searching for Bobby Fischer". 

I also like "The Illusionist" with Edward Norton (not the current animated one). 

The Harry Potter series is entertaining.

"Jerry Mcguire" and "Sweet Home Alabama" are fun romances. 

Oh and "Sleepless in Seattle" is a classic. 

and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"

Great idea for a thread! 

Pooh

Oh, I'm such a movie buff that I could go on and on....but I will not.

I know you liked the Sandra Bullock one and I love her.  One of my two other favs of hers that are romantic comedies is "Two Weeks Notice" and "The Proposal".  Doesn't hurt that Hugh Grant is her leading man in "Two Weeks Notice."   ;D

For something different, I have always loved "Sense and Sensibility."  I would classify it more of a romantic/drama but I love the accents (British) and scenery.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Rose799

Tom Hanks movies:

Sleepless in Seattle
You've Got Mail
Forest Gump
A League of Their Own
Apollo 13
Castaway
Turner & Hooch
The Money Pit

pam1

Big Fish
A River Runs Through It
The Secret Life of Bees
Ghost
The Wedding Planner
The Nutty Professor (ok, it's more of a comedy but has some romantic comedy to it.  I haven't seen the older version but love the new ones.)
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

luise.volta

Thank you! You guys are great and I am taking notes! I got Sandra Bullock's "Two Weeks Notice" to watch today and "Miss Congeniality" to watch later. I have joined "Hulu - Free" but am sticking to DVDs until I learn more about "streaming."

I have seen some of the ones you have mentioned but I am not much for watching movies over again...except for Christine Lahti in "Crazy From The Heart." That's the one exception and my all-time favorite. (Most people never heard of it.)

I am kind of an emotional blotter (a Pisces) so I don't maintain my distance well (or at all) when I get into a good movie...I'm "there." For that reason, I don't like sad movies or scary ones. I want to have a good time not be put through the wringer. I don't hear well any more so any accents make it hard for me to understand. I don't see well, either, LOL! Watching my iMac is easier on my eyes than the big screen that I had and never used. It was kind of overwhelming and I'm glad it's gone.

We still have deep snow and it's too dangerous to venture forth...for the aged and infirm...my dog loves it! :-)

lancaster lady

for wonderful scenery and romance : Out of Africa , Robert Redford ......<3  :)

Pen

I love movies! 
Here are some random choices:

Love, Actually
About a Boy
Long Life, Happiness & Prosperity
Little Women
Whale Rider
This is Spinal Tap
A Mighty Wind
Best in Show
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

Two Weeks Notice is probably one of my favs of hers.  You would like "The Proposal" too.   It has Betty White in it.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Thanks! I am making a master list. You are such a wonderful resource!   ;D ;D

faithZeldas1

love eat pray
Mozart and The Whale
Benny and June
Dude,Where's My Car?

nikncon

Hi Luise.Have you seen The Notebook?A nice romantic movie.I love those.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Pen

How could I have forgotten "Calendar Girls?" Helen Mirren and a great cast of women "our age." Sweet, funny, empowering.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

I started to say that one Pen because it's great...but then she said she was having trouble hearing accents so I was afraid she might struggle through that one.   :(

Love the notebook....love anything by Nicolas Sparks but those will make you cry.  He's a master with a Kleenex.

Me and DH just went last weekend to see "We Bought A Zoo".  I loved it!  Based on a true story, it's a mix of comedy/romance and animals!!!  Woot woot!  It's new though so I'm not sure it's out on the DVD things yet, but add that to your list for later.   ;D

We have a date tonight and I want to go see the new movie with Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton, "Joyful Noise".  Poor DH.  He knows I have an addiction to any musical.
Joseph Campbell