March 28, 2024, 08:02:59 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Colonoscopy---Anyone???

Started by CarolN, April 15, 2010, 07:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarolN

Hi everyone~~I just received a positive test result on  the FOBT test (stool test for fecal blood) and am scared to death. Have a colonoscopy scheduled for May 14 and  (I hate to admit it) am almost convinced it is something bad. Don't think I'll have a decent night's sleep until this is over! Just wondering if anyone else has had a colonoscopy and/or a similar experience. Any help would be so appreciated!!!

Carol

Marilyn

Hi CarolN and welcome,I'm sorry your test came back positive.I have had a couple colonoscopy,and it's really not bad at all,they sedate you,and you never know any thing going on.The worst part of all,is drinking that stuff to clean you out.Make sure you drink it all,it gets hard to drink.But i had a friend who didn't drink all of hers,and had to do it all over..........no way did i want to have to drink it again that soon.

Please try not to worry,i know that isn't easy to do.

Sending love,prayers, and hugs

cremebrulee

CarolN...I will tell you from my experience, it was nothing...honestly, it went very well, and even the prep wasn't nearly as bad as when I was sick a few weeks ago...you have nothing to fear, really...they put you out while examining you..and it's over in no time...just make certain, you don't do much the rest of the day, b/c you are groggy...but, it's actually very easy compared to the one I had many years ago, when they didn't knock oyoj out...sheesh, now that was hard...our Technology today CarolN, I'm finding makes things much easier on the patient...so, go in there and get it done asap, b/c you have nothing to fear, but fear itself...it's a sinch...

big hugs
Creme

Pen

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this; it's hard to wait for tests and and results when you think there may be bad news. Try to stay positive if you can; there's no point in stressing yourself out until you know more. The colonoscopy itself, while not a joyous couple of days what with the prep and all, isn't bad. I'm proud of you for taking care of this in a timely manner! Whatever the outcome, not delaying is the best action.
Sending good thoughts on a great outcome!
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Marilyn

Anna,you sure have had a time with colds :P I know the pollen is really high this year,i think they said the highest in 30+ years.Is it your allergies? I know they affect you really bad.

I'm hoping good results for you also,on your colonoscopy.It's really not at all bad,really!

Orly

I hated the cleanser pills (had those instead of the drink)....whopping big horse sized jobbers that you had to take five at a time, every half hour.   They tasted so bad to me I had a hard time getting the last four down each time.  Didn't have a problem with the actual scope procedure. 

CarolN

Want to thank everyone for your responses-it really helps alot to hear everyones views. I am trying not to think about it but I am a "professional worrier" so that is hard! LOL

Anna~~You'll have to let me know how yours went. Take care and  hope your feeling better soon.

Hugs to you all
Carol

Meryl

It really isn't that bad at all. The prep certainly keeps you occupied on the toilet. You might want to eat lightly a few days before. For me the procedure was I was awake, asleep, awake and it was over. Somewhat tired and groggy the rest of the day - don't drive that day. Really not bad at all.

Meryl :)

Hope

CarolN and Anna,
Another good outcome - I had a couple colonoscopies and it's nothing to worry about.  I agree with everyone else, the prep is the worse part.  The procedure itself is relaxing b/c they sedate you and you feel so peaceful when you wake up.  Before I had my first colonoscopy, I had a scope down my throat and I was soooo scared, but it was such a good experience, I wasn't worried a bit when I went back the same year for my first colonoscopy and five years later for my second.  I'm sorry to hear that there's a reason for concern, CarolN, and I pray everything comes out clear.
Here comes a couple good hugs.........Hope

Pen

Anna, *gulp* is right, LOL. That's a big jug of liquid you have to drink the night before :P I actually liked feeling light and squeeky clean for a day. It made me think about what I put in my body; I wanted to keep it as clean as possible for awhile. That lasted until we drove by an In 'n' Out burger stand (no pun intended) a week later  :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

kathleen

Carol, I just saw this.  Don't worry excessively.  1: If it is something bad, it sounds like you caught this very early (it sounds like you are a person who regularly sees your doctor.)  But 2) My aunt actually had very severe rectal bleeding.  It was totally frightening.  With all the emphasis on "warning signs," she was convinced she had cancer.  They did the colonoscopy right away and guess what, there was nothing wrong but hemorrhoids!  (Did I spell it right?)  You might also have an ulcer bleeding a little; these heal and go away---it could be other things as well.

So often the anxiety about testing builds up and is worse than the test.  Last year I had to have a small growth removed and I was terrified.  Turned out totally benign and the surgeon was so great, he put me totally at ease.  I will never worry again if I have to go through anything else with him,  Make sure you are getting good practitioners that are kind and CAREFUL.  Ask some questions about the risks of the tests and who is doing it, if you don't know.

I can't help but think that if your doctor thought it was something really bad, he/she would have scheduled your colonoscopy much sooner than a month from when you wrote----?

Good luck.  I think you will be fine.  But let us know, will you?

Kathleen

Hope

Anna, after it's over I think you are going to report that the procedure wasn't a big deal at all.  The anticipation is the worst part (and the prep).
Hugs, Hope

CarolN

Gee Anna~~Does that mean I'm gonna have to go first????

Kathleen~~Thanks for your words of encouragement~~I really appreciate them.

Hugs to everyone  Carol

Pen

Best wishes to all; I'm with you, literally and figuratively - my app't is due soon, too  :P Maybe we could get a group rate? Make it a party?
-- Annie Gottlieb

Marilyn

What could the prep solution be called........new cocktail.............gut blaster?

instead of happy hour.................potty hour!