March 28, 2024, 12:55:49 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Group Therapy

Started by 2chickiebaby, April 07, 2010, 07:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2chickiebaby

Well, off I went to group therapy.......really nice group of women.  Wouldn't you know it?  2 of them had MIL problems!!
What is going on?  I must have landed on Mars or something! 

When it came my turn (I felt like I was in an Alcoholic Anonymous Group), I said my name and told them that I had DILs and
that all I had ever wanted was a family.  My health and my life has been ruined. 

They were very nice and you could tell they thought I might could help them with their MILs.  HUH?  2 of the women were
quite overweight and told me of some things their MILs had said to them.  Really bad things.  I did hurt for them. 

The point of the group and what the leader said was that we could only change ourselves and that when we did, it was like
a domino effect, everyone would start changing too. That's good...I want  to change very much.  She said "boundaries"
about a million times.  I am going to have that put on my tombstone....I got Boundaries, finally. 

Hope

"She said "boundaries" about a million times.  I am going to have that put on my tombstone....I got Boundaries, finally."

Chickie,
I just had to laugh out loud at your post.  I must get that book!  Sounds like change is on the way - good for you!  The dominoes are about to take off.........
Hugs, Hope

2chickiebaby

Hope,
One of the women had issues of being overwhelmed....she told her husband that she was getting
a professional organizing woman AND going to counseling too.  He said, "it either one or the other, counseling or
organizer"

She said, "it's going to be counseling AND organizing and that's all there is to this conversation"

I said, "you must have read the Boundaries book".  She said, "I have read it and now I'm applying it"

Hope

Chickie - you did it again.  I'm lol.  You are convincing me to buy the book.  I reallllllly need some boundaries - every where in my life.  You wouldn't believe what I all do for my boss.  I'm an administrative assistant......I mean personal servant.  I do EVERYTHING for my boss.  Make doctor appointments, personal appointments, call the dry cleaner to pick up her clothes, file her benefit bank claims, drop her shoes off and pick them up every time she needs repair, even make her food and bring it to work for her sometimes.  Everything but blow her nose for her.  I NEED THE DAG GONE BOOK WORSE THAN ANYONE ELSE HERE! ;D
Hugs, Hope

willingtohelp

Hope, please, before you read it, read the Devil Wears Prada.  I had a boss similar to yours, and I swear it was both comical and a bit too eerily familiar. 

Hope

Clover,
You've got to be kidding......I own the movie "The Devil Wears Prada" and it's one of my fav's b/c I can relate so well.  I know what you mean about eerie.....I was watching myself in that movie.  I've been with this boss for eight years now and I really like her (am I a glutton for punishment or what?) compared to all the other bosses I've had.  I know from past experience that there are a lot of worse things in a boss.  At least she never puts me down - she has my back ALWAYS.  She makes me feel like a treasure and I guess that's why I put up with all the other stuff.

momX3

Chickie,

Read your description about your group session and I was ROFL.  ;D

With your expertise.......you need to write that book on "DIL Survival Tips."       
Boundaries could be an option for one of the chapters. Even those two in your group were thinking that you might help them.
What does that tell you?  Others seek out your advice and they listen when you speak.

Trust me, it would make the best seller list.  We will figure out a surname so that your DIL won't know who wrote it.  :-X

Pen

I hope the group sessions work out for you, Chickie! I'm really interested in how the "boundaries" concept works in real life. All I can imagine now is speaking up for myself and having the other party say "Well, that doesn't work for me - ciao, baby." It seems like some people can set personal boundaries and others just have to live with it. I know there must be more to it than that :)
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb