March 28, 2024, 03:18:11 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

My Bank Account Story

Started by luise.volta, March 27, 2010, 12:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

So, here is my bank account story, (circa 1978): I was reconciling our bank statement and found a whopping $3,000. withdrawal from our savings account. I called the bank right away about "their" mistake. The person researched it and asked if I had asked my husband about it because she couldn't start any action until I had. I told her he would never do that. (Do I hear you all laughing!)

So, just to get the investigation going, I asked. Yes, he tells me...but it's a "surprise."

I wait and wait and wait and wait and don't ask because I don't want to ruin his surprise. (How dumb could I get?)

When he confessed not long after that to a three yer affair with a co-worker and friend of mine (I didn't have a clue)...low and behold, it was for dental work for her.

And he told the truth! It was sure a surprise!

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Hope

BAM SLAM!  I can feel the sting myself just reading your story, Luise!  I bet your wisdom grew quite a bit from that hurtful experience.  You took your difficult life experiences and made something great of them.  Thanks for all you do for us!  And I'm so glad you found Val.  Love and hugs, Hope

cocobars

Luise, I have to tell you that I shouldn't have responded to Kinzey's post yesterday.  I've had the same bad surprise - to the tune of $25,000 before dumb little ole me realized the joke was on me.  My husband took everything when he took off to Costa Rica.  I don't want to say what the amount was, but I can say that I felt really grosely conned because he knew I loved him "that blindly."  It's one of the reasons my post was so filled with anger, and I fell asleep at my computer last night from exhaustion.  My son and daughter didn't have the heart to wake me!  I woke up at 10:30ish and my grandson was here - sleeping.  I missed the whole night with him!  Yes, I'm ashamed...

But the bank account story hit a nerve that hasn't been hit for a long time!  The devastation I felt moving back here and having to sell a baby grand player piano (which had sentimental value because my sister played the piano very well and had passed - long story behind that piano) that meant so much to me, well, he almost took my life.  It wasn't money, but the fact that he had cleared that money from me that forced me to sell this thing.  Most days that I put a disk into that piano, I would sit back, close my eyes and imagine my sister was here with me.  That's what I sold in my heart.

What he didn't know was that he could have been honest and had everything, except I would still have retained the memories that this piano brought back to me.  I sold sentimental value for about $6,000.  My children and I hadn't eaten anything but rice for about a week.  We were hungry and I needed to take care of us.  It was necessary.  I have promissed myself that I will buy this back (about $21,000), and have saved the bench cover that she had needlepointed, for that time.

I'm sorry if I was so abrupt with my replies to this poster.  I couldn't seem to hold back and learned that I have alot of unresolved issues attached to a bank account being cleaned out now.  I am probably looking at counselling, for me!  I don't need to have this reaction is such a dramatic way again.  My children understand because they were there and saw what happened.  Other people don't know it or realize why I am reacting that way.  It's a sign for me that I haven't resolved the feelings of abandonment.  I may never do that, but nobody else should have to pay for these feelings I have when they crop up like this.

As you stated so well, Hope - "BAM SLAM!"  It's what I felt yesterday too!

Luise, you are a strong woman!

luise.volta

We all became friends. Isn't that rich? Until this year when Val has gotten so weak, we've celebrated our birthdays together and they always came to our family picnics. (He was superb step-father to Kirk.) I now think the story is funny, as you could probably tell. Hurt back then, of course...but you're right it was a "leaning experience."  :o

Hope

Luise - The fact that you could reconcile your hurt feelings and share your son and family with your xdh just shows what an amazing person you are.  I want to be like you.............
Hugs, Hope

cocobars

Quote from: Hope on March 27, 2010, 12:47:00 PM
Luise - The fact that you could reconcile your hurt feelings and share your son and family with your xdh just shows what an amazing person you are.  I want to be like you.............
Hugs, Hope
Get in line... ;D

momX3

Luise,
Your life stories are truly an inspiration to everyone.
The fact that you have been so forgiving to those who hurt you, has made you the mentor that you are today.

If you have any advice that you can pass on (regarding ways to let go of the hurt), I am listening.

Lots of pings to you for your endurance and ability to touch so many.
I learn something every time I view the posts on WWU.   :)

luise.volta

Long, long life...lots of lessons. I will think on letting go of hurt and get back to you.  ;)