Author Topic: Calling Pooh or other cooking afficiandos  (Read 1271 times)

Offline pam1

• View Profile
Calling Pooh or other cooking afficiandos
« on: November 02, 2011, 09:55:07 AM »
I bought a corned beef brisket for DH and was going to stick in the crock pot, but my luck, crock pot is kaput.  So on the directions it says I can either simmer it or roast it.  Which is the best way?

I really want to make a fab dinner for DH tonight, since DD's medical issues I've only been cooking her fav foods and tonight is clam chowder....DH will try to eat it but I know he's got to be getting hungry for some of his style of cooking.

Help?
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Offline luise.volta

• Global Moderator
  • Luise Volta
    • View Profile
    • Wise Women Unite
Re: Calling Pooh or other cooking afficiandos
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »
I do a long, slow simmer with veggies all around it. But I brown it first in butter. Ummmmm...
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it's a quiet voice at the end of the day saying, I'll try again tomorrow." -- Mary Ann Radmacher

Offline Pooh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:39:27 PM »
I do the same thing as Luise.  I think it keeps it more moist.  I also put carrots, potatoes and onions around it while it simmers....Ok...now I'm hungry!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Offline lancaster lady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 03:30:42 PM »
You have to pot roast that particular cut of beef , otherwise it will be like leather ....lol
I usually simmer in the oven with a lid , surrounded by root veggies .......then thicken the liquid to a gravy when done .

We serve with Yorkshire puddings .....yum ...( they are batter cakes done in the oven ) ...what time is dinner ... ::)

Offline pam1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
Thanks ladies!  It was a hit, DH loved it.  Now since he is the only one who eats it there is a bunch leftover, now I'm going to try my hand at corned beef hash :)  I found some recipes on allrecipes but you guys have any tips?

People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Offline Pen

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:43:20 PM »
Crispy outsides & moist insides on the hash, Pam :) At least that's how DH prefers it.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Offline bdwell1904

• View Profile
    • Prestige Personal Care
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:51:50 AM »
at the holidayss we use ground corn beef mix with 1 c mayo, 1 c sour cream and 1/2 cup green onions mix well and chill. Makes a great dip for crackers  ;D

Offline Pooh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:52:14 AM »
Oh yum...that sounds good!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell