March 28, 2024, 02:19:21 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Changing /Washing Sheets Post

Started by FAFE, October 26, 2011, 06:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FAFE

I do not remember which post it was in about whether the MIL had washed the sheets before her DS & DIL went to visit.  But here, we have a standing joke - generally with my siblings.  I have told them all that there is a 2 night limit and if I knew that they did not get the sheets dirty, then I just sprayed them with Linen Spray until they had been used at least one more time.  Cuts down on company!  Seriously, I do not do that, but have spent many holidays changing sheets about 4 times for 2 bedrooms having had company coming and going for a couple of weeks!  Otherwise, I don't have that much spend the night company, so I don't have to change them a lot. There's at least one set of linens that I even iron when I change them out. 

You just have to cut yourself a little slack every now and then.  So, what is your favorite housekeeping tip to minimize chores?

Ruth

Ha!  It was DOE of course!  I admit, when I go to my Mom's (and there are several of us siblings who frequent) we just ask no questions and sleep on whatever's there.  When I was younger I used to freak out about every germ on the planet, since having dogs I just brush it aside and move on!

pam1

I don't care about spills or food on the floors.....one of the pugs will get it ;)

Except for spinach, I dropped a couple leaves on the floor and not one would touch it.  Even left it there for a couple days just to see LOL
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pooh

Let's see...my fav tip would be when something splatters in the microwave and dries before you get to it, I put a half a cup of lemon juice with a half cup of water in an bowl and microwave it for 5 minutes.  The steam and lemon loosen up the caked on mess!

My lazy admission?  I hate ironing with a passion so I throw shirts and pants in the dryer for 20 minutes to get wrinkles out! Lol.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

sesamejane

That's a good one Pooh...

I love dogs but don't want one now and kitty is fussy about what she eats...17 year old cats are that way!

I have always been partial to the following (household tips):  WD40, Goo-b-gone, duct tape, and Windex all surface cleaner. white shirts and panties (I never feel as if I have enough of them), Wifi....and saving my nickels and dimes for a monthly visit from a housekeeper....

Pooh

I love all of those!  Except we call duct tape, 100 mile-an-hour tape
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Doe's story about the sheets could have happened here with my DIL or my SM. Made me chuckle :)

Lazy outside window washing - that Windex spray you attach to a garden hose. Lazy decor - white slip covers on everything 'cos they're easy to wash and bleach if necessary. Love 'em!

I too want household help; someone inside at least once every 2 weeks, and someone outside (plus windows!) at least once a month. Oh, and ironing help; hate it!

What's your favorite household chore? I love hanging laundry out to dry (but dislike bringing it in, folding and putting away.)

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

pam1

My fav is feeding all the animals, they go bonkers and its fun.

I have another household tip for those with household members who don't change the tp roll.  I don't keep the tp stock in the bathrooms anymore b/c someone (ahem...DH) would just get a roll out and then leave it on the floor without taking the old roll off and replacing it with a fresh one.  So now the tp stock is in the hallway closet and if someone runs out they have to yell for someone to get them more tp.

And usually I'm too busy doing something to get the tp right away ;)

It took a little while but now I'm finding the tp roll being replenished when needed.

Pooh

Ha ha ha Pam!  Love it!

My favorite household chore is cleaning the kitchen.  I know that sounds weird, but after I get the kitchen all spiffy, I love the look of all the shine and organization.

Least favorite is cleaning bathrooms!  Hate it!  If I could just hire someone to come in every week and clean my 3 bathrooms, I would be thrilled!  Luckily, my DH doesn't mind doing them and will do them most of the time because he knows I hate it.
Joseph Campbell

Nana

Dear Pooh

You got lucky with that husband of yours.  My husband is a good provider and excellent dad and grandfather....but I have to clean after him.  Cant even put his dishes on the sink.   Cant have it all.

Count your blessings Pooh

Love you
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

Doe

Pen, I love hanging clothes out to dry, too. And the smell when they're dry.

My least favorite thing is making a bed.  That was a chore that I never insisted on - if they wanted a messy bed, just close the door. I'm here to tell you that genetics did not play a role here - both sons make their beds everyday in their homes.

My solution that I've developed after decades of pretending the bed wasn't there during the day:

When I wake up, after pushing the dogs off, I sit in the middle of the bed and from there, smooth out the sheets and blankets. I line the pillows up and nicely fold the top of the sheet down over the blankets and Wahh La!   Not as fancy as Voila!, I know, but it works for me.  It helps to have an understanding husband.

FAFE

Ha!  I'm having company tonight and do not remember if the sheets are fresh or were just sprayed with linen spray after the last visit.  Doesn't matter, though.  It's a good friend!

I really don't mind ironing, but I hate all the other chores!  I do have someone come in at least once a month and if I'm home for a long stretch, it's every other week.  Sometimes I have to decide if I want more wine or a clean house.  The wine wins every time!!!!

Ruth

A very efficient solution is to make the bed while you are in it.  Lie in the center (where you usually do)  push the dogs off.  Smooth all the covers up and slide out carefully.  Now add your pillows and you are finished and proud.

pam1

I didn't realize anyone made their bed anymore.  Ha!

I especially loved when these studies came out, I kept emailing articles to my dad.  hehe 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4181629.stm

Shelby

Quote from: Ruth on October 27, 2011, 02:13:52 PM
A very efficient solution is to make the bed while you are in it.  Lie in the center (where you usually do)  push the dogs off.  Smooth all the covers up and slide out carefully.  Now add your pillows and you are finished and proud.

Ruth - you're my kind of gal.  I have a friend who usually wears tweed to work, as the dog hairs don't show very much on tweed.