March 28, 2024, 12:18:20 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

hi!

Started by elizabeth, September 16, 2011, 08:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elizabeth

Hi Everyone,
I'm Elizabeth and I just registered after googeling a topic yesterday and finding someone discussing it here.
Seems a great site to learn and communicate the probs of family and living through the tough times.

I look forward to reading and getting to know some of you better. :)

Doe

Hey Elizabeth-

Welcome!  I'm new here, too.  You've found a gold mine!

luise.volta

Welcome - Thanks. Please read the two posts under Open Me First. One is the Forum Agreement which has to be a fit for this to work...and the other is How This Happened...our history.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

elizabeth

hi luise,

I read them and fully agree with the rules. Its interesting how the site got going and is still
doing so well.
thanks

luise.volta

Great! And again welcome!  :)

lancaster lady

Welcome Elizabeth ......
Do you have a story , or just along for the fun ?  ;D ;D ;D

elizabeth

Hi,

I do have a story, maybe two or three.

I don't feel quite ready to share yet.

All of the conflict is many years in the past now.

I need to be  accepting the limited contact I have with DD's and
Adult GSon.

Until I found this site I had no idea so many women find themselves being rejected by
children. I really thought I was alone in that.

Its different here.  Mothers reign in Italy.

Sunday dinner with Mother is nearly a federal law.
No italian child could possibly refuse to see, much less refuse the grand children to see GrandMother.

Those are the reasons I live here and the way of life here, it seems natural to me.
However the rest of my family live in Canada and USA and so they are of a different culture.

elizabeth

I didn't mean that it is really against any law here to miss Sunday dinner with Mama!

I should have posted the  ;) to let everyone know I was joking.

Doe

That sounds delightful!  (course, I'm a mother,gm)

There's something about agreed upon cultural rules that takes the weight off of situations.  The decisions have been made long ago and you just go with the current.  I guess if people don't like the current, they get out of the water?

There are a lot of generally accepted rules in the South where I grew up - showing respect for elders being one - but I left a long time ago and gave those up.  Now that I'm older, I see they would have come in handy at times!

luise.volta

I have a tremendous, loving support system that includes my son and five "sort of" daughters. I live in WA state, and they live in: Hawaii, E. WA (on the other side of a huge mountain range), New Mexico and Florida!  ;D ;D ;D

Pooh

Welcome Elizabeth.  That's the great thing about this site, you don't have to share until you feel you can.  Just keep reading and know you are definately not alone!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Welcome Home, Pooh!!!

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell