March 28, 2024, 11:15:08 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Thought of you all when I read this

Started by Scoop, August 02, 2011, 06:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scoop

I saw this article linked in a blog and thought it was interesting and would be interesting to some of the women here.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1969/12/how-to-land-your-kid-in-therapy/8555/

The gist of it is that even if you're a great parent and give your kids everything, they can still end up unhappy.  I thought of the Moms here who've done nothing wrong to their kids and still get beat up.

But that was last night.  Today, I thought about it some more and realized that it's just another way to blame the parents.   At some point, you're a grown up and you're responsible for your own happiness and you have to suck it up.

So yeah, now I'm aiming that link to the DIL's with young children - don't be afraid to let your children be unhappy!

Scoop

luise.volta

August 02, 2011, 06:18:47 AM #1 Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 06:37:34 AM by luise.volta
Interesting thought process and it makes sense to me.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Smilesback@u

WOW!  Thanks for thinking of us.  That's cool and I read the article too!  It is actually right where I am at this morning - really.  I have been thinking how I don't have my Dad's approval -- gosh, do we ever grow up?  And how did I manage to get to be almost 60 without his approval?  I must be doing something right, you think?  However, I tend to agree with the article that a person finds happiness from earning it, from doing something that has meaning to you.  Happiness is not something someone gives you like approval.  It is not because parents did too much or too little for you, their parenting style only makes life easier or harder up until you move away and become an adult.  Once you are an adult, happiness is all up to YOU!  No magic wand is available to bring that into your life and have you feel it.  You just need to do something that will make you proud of yourself, and think of others for a change.  Cuz maybe the emptiness will disappear knowing there are others struggling too.  Just a thought, as I am right there on the couch, trying to figure out myself, as to why I feel empty today. 

luise.volta

Today I am just thinking about peace and love in a generic sense. Feeling them. Just because I said so.  :)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Smilesback@u

Yeah, just because you said so!  GOOD GOING!  I really like your spirit and clear thinking a lot!  I think I will go get the day started, and enjoy it - because I said so :)

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

pam1

Love it, Scoop!

DD tells me quite a bit lately that I'm the meanest mom in the world, so I say thanks, that means I'm doing my job :)
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift