March 28, 2024, 03:38:24 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I decided to start a diet

Started by Pooh, July 28, 2011, 08:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pooh

Morning!  One month ago, my hubby and I were talking about how we had both been steadily gaining weight.  The story I'm blaming mine on is being happy in love and my meds.  Reality is although one of the meds they have me on does promote weight gain, it's more the potato skins, chocolate cake and ice cream I have been consuming.  I'm sticking to my original excuse though!   ;D

So I had the whole Hee Haw thing that next week and he was out of town working the next, so we made a pact to start the following week.  We actually started on Sunday July 17th, so I am almost through with the second week.  We decided to do a combination of low calorie/lower carbs. 

I found a website (and many of you may already know about it) that's free and tracks what you eat.  I logged for 3 days what I ate before starting this and I about fainted at the amount of calories I was eating a day!  I wanted to share it with you, as I have found being able to see what I am putting in my mouth in calories/carb/fiber/sugar/protein numbers has been very eye opening and making it much easier to stay on track.  I have lost 7 pounds since starting and hubby is down 4.

It's a great website, databases, friends (like fb) for support, forums with great advice and recipes and all kinds of things.   I will tell you that by planning out what I am eating all day and seeing when I go over, it has made me make wiser, healthier choices and I'm getting plenty to eat.  I can't diet when I'm hungry!  Most days now, I'm very full and actually under my goals.  It will calculate your goals for you based on current weight, goal weight, etc., and they are very realistic.

www.myfitnesspal.com
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Lol...yeah me too.  I'm telling you though, I always knew what to do, but seeing it daily, in black and white, has really helped!  When you see that you can eat that pop-tart, but yet I can have 8 cups of broccoli and a sandwich to that one pop-tart...yeah...I'm choosing the eight cups!

I'm finding some great alternatives to things I really like.  I found a recipe for cornbread that is only 49 calories a muffin, so I don't feel deprived.  I also found sugar free creamsicles in the grocery freezer that are only 80 calories, and fudge pops for 40 calories, so I can still get my sweet tooth on!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

I'm signed up. Please add me as your Fitness Pal. OK? Here we go!!
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Did you use the username Luise Volta?
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Nevermind!  Found you!  Lol!  ;D
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

I have started but always find a new cyber-program challenging. Wasn't able to figure out how to enter "My Foods"...so just entered the number of calories in my breakfast. That will probably work because it is not my meals that take me down...it is the craving for sugar between meals...at night and under pressure. It is my hope that if I have to list them daily, that might help me. When the craving hits...8 cups of broccoli isn't "it," unfortunately. If I get the low cal deserts you mentioned...they can all disappear in a nono-second...if I have them on hand. Changed my I.D. photo to show that I have a head. LOL!

Pooh

Lol.  When you want to add a food, and the majority are in there in some shape form or fashion (there is a place you can add your own if not, but we'll get to that later), just click on the "add" button below which meal you are adding to...like breakfast, lunch, snack...

A search box will come up and type in what you are looking for.  You can put in generic words like "wheat bread" and it will bring up a list of all kinds of brands or some that just say generic.  Or you can key in the brand name like "Kraft" and it will bring up all the "Kraft" stuff.  When you find what you want, or something close, just click on it and say "add".  It will add it to that meal.  You do that for each thing, and you will find then that when you hit the "add" button, below the search box it will start building a list of things that you have eaten, so if you eat the same thing again, it will be right there in front of you to click on the box and just say "add".

It took me a day or two of rumbling around in it to get the hang of it, but once you do...it's easy.
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Oh, forgot to add when you find the food you want and click on it, to the right it will ask you what serving size based on how someone loaded that in the database.  Like "1 cup, 4 oz., 1 slice".

Once it's in your list you can change the serving size so if you are eating 1 cup this time and last time you ate 2 cups, you just change the serving size in your box to the right and it will recalculate everything for you!
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

I make my own protein health shake and they have nothing like it...(Kirk's recipe)...but I know the number of calories, 275. My other meals are Nurtisystem and I know the calories. I add fresh fruits and vegetables and know that I am staying within my 1200 cal. parenters ...so that is OK, too. The between meals, emotionaly-based, sugar hits that are the problem. I will watch those and post them on the site. I go unconscious about them and that's the issue. It's worth a try.

Pooh

Ok, then do this to make it easier for you.  Click on the food tab at the top.  Underneath the food tab will now be a new set of tabs for food stuff.  Pick the 3rd one called "My Foods".  Now you have a green button that says "create food".  In brand or restaurant, just type "Generic".  Then name your protein shake whatever you want "Kirk's protein shake", and click continue.
It brings up the page where you enter all the nutritional info about it.  Fill in what you want, as in just the calories and the serving size part (it requires that I think) and go to the bottom and save it.  Now, it's available in your list whenever you want it.
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Thank you. I will print your post out and go from there. Nutrisystem has all the stuff your site does plus a lot more like unlimited, free interactions with dietitions and counselors, earning "Nutribears"...(cute little stuffed guys in different colors with the number of pounds you have lost embroidered on their chests and backs,) exercise programs, daily inspirational articles...the list goes on and on...but...I don't feel connected. Even when I talk with someone online or on the phone or by chat. It is too large, maybe? Or too much a businesss? I don't know.

I have done Overeater Anonymous and a score of other plans. I have lost all the weight I need to and have gotten down to a size 6 many times...but the sugar monster can't be held at bay forever. I have tried hypnosis, going to seminars...you name it. What I am looking at here...is doing it with a friend. And yes, you are a cyber-friend and I can have those at Nutrisystem...but you are part of my heart. Not my cyber-heart...my heart.  :)

amflautist

I've lost this weight so many times I can't keep track.  I know all the rules for all the systems.  I know myself well enough to know that I only lose when I write down every bite.  I have calorie counters and little books for writing it all down, but they sit on the top shelf of the furthest left cupboard in my kitchen.  But I spend so many hours each day at my computer, maybe I can be successful at cyber-calorie-counting, and with that hope, I have just signed up. 

Pooh

Awww....you're so sweet!  You're in my heart too!  I think it has been valuable to see "when" I eat the most.  The first few days I did it before trying to lose weight, it was easy to see that in mid-afternoon and late night, I tended to eat really bad stuff.  So I have substituted those for healthier snacks, and cut down on my pastas, bread and potatoes.   That has really made a big difference in my calorie counts.  If you look at my diary (click on my profile and view my diary) you can see what I have been eating the last couple of weeks.  I'm actually this week having more trouble getting up to my 1200 calories as I guess my stomach is shrinking.  Strange....but true!  And I'm not hungry because I'm eating plenty so that is my major plus!  I can not be hungry and be successful.

We got this!
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Quote from: amflautist on July 28, 2011, 11:45:39 AM
I've lost this weight so many times I can't keep track.  I know all the rules for all the systems.  I know myself well enough to know that I only lose when I write down every bite.  I have calorie counters and little books for writing it all down, but they sit on the top shelf of the furthest left cupboard in my kitchen.  But I spend so many hours each day at my computer, maybe I can be successful at cyber-calorie-counting, and with that hope, I have just signed up.

Woo hoo!  It's easier to do it on the computer for me too because I like the computer!  Also, I didn't cheat.  When it asked for your goals in the beginning, I put "sedentary" and NO exercise!  (hangs her head in shame).
Joseph Campbell

amflautist

Quote from: Pooh on July 28, 2011, 11:50:29 AM
When it asked for your goals in the beginning, I put "sedentary" and NO exercise!  (hangs her head in shame).

Lol.  So did I.