April 20, 2024, 02:16:07 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

I decided to start a diet

Started by Pooh, July 28, 2011, 08:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose799

You girls are a hoot!  I may join you in a couple of weeks, after the mini trampoline that I just ordered today arrives.  How many calories do you think I can burn while sitting & bouncing for 10 mins?   :)

Pooh

Depends on if you do it with or without holding a glass of water.....  ;)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

elsieshaye

I already like this site - I can adjust my nutrient goals to reflect the low-carbing I'm doing, rather than having it chastise me for eating too much protein and fat.  I've joined as elsieshaye, and Luise and Pooh, I've already sent you a request. 
This too shall pass.  All is well.

Pooh

Yes, that's why I liked it.  My hubby wanted to do low calorie, I prefer low carb.  So I was able to adjust it to what I wanted.  I also like that I can see if it makes a difference by tracking both!

Oooh ooh....I should have told everyone, Pooh was already taken so I had to do VelcroPooh!

Sorry elsieshaye...I've sent you one now!   You may have to delete the other Pooh if she excepts!  Sorry!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

AF - Are doing it, too. If so please "friend" me. OK?
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

elsieshaye

She'll probably think "who's that weirdo who just tried to friend me, and what the heck is WWU??" LOL

luise.volta

elsieshaye

I'm sorry, Luise - that probably made no sense!  I meant that the "other Pooh" on the food website would probably wonder who I was, since I sent her a friend request that said "if you're the Pooh on WWU, this is elsieshaye". 

Pooh

Ha ha ha.  Probably, looks like she hasn't done anything on there so hopefully she just signed up and abandoned it!
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Oh, funny! (Once it's explained to me.  ???

Pooh

Ok...so Luise...elsieshaye went looking for me on MFP......
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

I was responding to AF - amflautist, to see if she was there, too. (?)

Smilesback@u

Quote from: Pooh on July 28, 2011, 08:07:06 AM
Morning!  One month ago, my hubby and I were talking about how we had both been steadily gaining weight.  The story I'm blaming mine on is being happy in love and my meds.  Reality is although one of the meds they have me on does promote weight gain, it's more the potato skins, chocolate cake and ice cream I have been consuming.  I'm sticking to my original excuse though!   ;D

So I had the whole Hee Haw thing that next week and he was out of town working the next, so we made a pact to start the following week.  We actually started on Sunday July 17th, so I am almost through with the second week.  We decided to do a combination of low calorie/lower carbs. 

I found a website (and many of you may already know about it) that's free and tracks what you eat.  I logged for 3 days what I ate before starting this and I about fainted at the amount of calories I was eating a day!  I wanted to share it with you, as I have found being able to see what I am putting in my mouth in calories/carb/fiber/sugar/protein numbers has been very eye opening and making it much easier to stay on track.  I have lost 7 pounds since starting and hubby is down 4.

It's a great website, databases, friends (like fb) for support, forums with great advice and recipes and all kinds of things.   I will tell you that by planning out what I am eating all day and seeing when I go over, it has made me make wiser, healthier choices and I'm getting plenty to eat.  I can't diet when I'm hungry!  Most days now, I'm very full and actually under my goals.  It will calculate your goals for you based on current weight, goal weight, etc., and they are very realistic.

www.myfitnesspal.com
Thanks Pooh, great idea to start a diet today!  I joined your website and added Weight Tracker here to WWU in my signature profile area.  Fun!  I actually re-committed this morning to get healthy and fit by following a healthier diet.  I am back from a vacation and needed to do something.  I actually have been working on losing weight for a couple years.  I am such a snail about it too.  Also, I am reading The Hacker's Diet which is online, and free.  I find it makes a lot of sense to me because if I eat extra calories they stay on as pounds.  I am 5'0" and cannot afford to eat much cuz I don't do much exercise.  All that will change over time if I try.  I didn't want to spend too much time now trying to figure out the perfect diet for me.  So I am pretty much simply going to follow a *calories in / calories out* approach to losing weight.  I set a mini goal today of 13 lbs.  The other book I am reading is about Hypereating.  It really bases alot on the fact that I respond to visual cues to eat.  So I have to change my thinking after I feel the urge to eat by telling myself something like, *I cannot eat one cookie, because then I will eat 20.*   Thanks again for your support and I will look to give you support too.  S

cadagi101

Quote from: Pooh on July 28, 2011, 10:47:34 AM
Lol.  When you want to add a food, and the majority are in there in some shape form or fashion (there is a place you can add your own if not, but we'll get to that later), just click on the "add" button below which meal you are adding to...like breakfast, lunch, snack...

A search box will come up and type in what you are looking for.  You can put in generic words like "wheat bread" and it will bring up a list of all kinds of brands or some that just say generic.  Or you can key in the brand name like "Kraft" and it will bring up all the "Kraft" stuff.  When you find what you want, or something close, just click on it and say "add".  It will add it to that meal.  You do that for each thing, and you will find then that when you hit the "add" button, below the search box it will start building a list of things that you have eaten, so
if you eat the same thing again, it will be right there in front of you to click on the box and just say "add".

It took me a day or two of rumbling around in it to get the hang of it, but once you do...it's easy.

Ok I have joined, I have added rolled oats to my breakfast yep it has it but I also have a banana and 2 teaspoons honey  where do I add that the extras