March 28, 2024, 11:31:50 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Jim

Started by Sassy, July 15, 2011, 10:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

Jim
July 15, 2011, 10:16:28 AM Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 12:28:35 PM by luise.volta
I also often recall your words, Luise, about people aren't perfect.   Relationships aren't perfect.  Everyone is flawed.  Everyone makes mistakes.   I just saw the most amazing little movie on Sundance "Mary and Max" about friendship lasting despite each friends not being perfect and I thought of you.  The idea of accepting that it's unrealistic to expect a perfect performance from imperfect people.   There will be bumps on the way.  Thank you for guidance on how not to get stuck on the bumps.

luise.volta

July 15, 2011, 11:04:53 AM #1 Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:48:08 AM by luise.volta
Interesting comment today of all days, Sassy. My son is at the airport picking up my "boyfriend" from 1942! He took me to his prom and I saw him off to the Army in WW II. We dated on and off for five years.

Jim's wife and my husband went to nursing on the same day over a year ago. She died and my Val will be 100 in October. The four of us got together 15 years ago when we went back to Michigan for my 50th reunion.

There is nothing more imperfect than our relationship . We are oil and water in just about every way...and we have been devoted to each other for almost 70 years. This is his third trip out here. I haven't gone there to meet his kids because I just can't let myself get so far away but we carry on a lively email correspondence.

Life can be full of surprises no matter how old you are. And they aren't all bad!  :D
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

Ummm....is this Mr. Ring "boyfriend"?   ;D
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

Good memory, Pooh. Yup! Good ole "Lord of The Rings!"

Pooh

Woo Hoo!  I likes him!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

July 15, 2011, 12:17:27 PM #5 Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 12:30:12 PM by luise.volta
I do, too, Pooh! Didn't mean to hijack W/E's thread so I am moving it over to Grab Bag...but what Sassy said in reminding me of my own words about imperfection was so right on at this moment! Here Jim is three months ago at 85!

Sassy

Your bathing beauty is a hottie.  Er, I mean, your friend seems very nice.  Have a great weekend, Luise!

luise.volta

Thanks! (You were right the first time!  ;D )

pam1

Hope you have a great weekend, Luise!
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

lancaster lady

Is that a glint in your eye Luise ??

luise.volta

Let's see, LL...where are you looking at my eyes? Or are you looking at Jim's? If so, is it a twinkle, maybe? I have always loved his eyes because they so reflect his smile. Even back in 1942!   ;D ;D ;D

Sassy

Luise, please excuse me if it's too prying to ask how your weekend was??  And/or please excuse me if it's been posted on another thread. 

luise.volta

Good question. Right place. The weekend was wonderful. Someone had already scheduled a family summer get together on Sat. so they all got to meet Jim and hear our story and he got to meet all of them. He was mostly astounded by how those who had been divorced all came and got along with their "exes." He's from the Midwest where divorce is war, not still loving someone you can no longer live with. There were about 50 of us there.

My ex DIL put on the affair (pun intended). My "ex" DH from 25 years ago was there with "the other woman," his wife. She and I are great friends. They are getting divorced but came togehter...and so it goes. My "ex" SIL was there and brought me pictures of her trip to Paris to see my grandson (a computer games designer) and my great granddaughter...who is now 18. (I can't believe it!)

Quite the usual for all of us but confusing for Jim who is somewhat unaware of parallel universes. Kirk and Sandy went with us and enjoyed seeing everyone including my other grandson and his wife. He is an attorney in Seattle. It was wonderful.

Sunday we met Kirk and Sandy at the local country club (county owned, no snobs allowed) and Kirk and Sandy signed their book for Jim while Jim gave them some special Cd's of music composed by a friend. They...my kids and Jim, had never met but were like peas in a pod. (I haven't met his kids.)

Today we went to a quaint little waterfront art colony and had lunch and shopped for a few gifts and post cards. Beautiful...leisurly day. Tomorrow, Jim's last day here...he is touring my retirement facility and getting on the waiting list. We shall see. I doubt a move across the country at 85 will follow. I am not supporting the idea but I am not opposing it, either. His call. Wed. Kirk will take him to the airport. This is trip three in the last 8 months.

Pooh

Sounds like a most wonderful weekend Luise.  I'm so glad you got to spend some time with him again.  He doesn't strike me  as a guy who would put himself on a waiting list if he didn't mean business!!!!!   ;D
Joseph Campbell

Pen

It does sound as if you had a wonderful weekend surrounded by loving family & friends who are happy, functional, interesting people. Who can ask for more? Precious times, for sure. And Jim is a peach.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb