March 28, 2024, 02:19:39 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Depression's Advantages

Started by Rose799, June 18, 2011, 06:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose799

cadagi101

thanks Rose very interesting ro read, I feek much better now :) :)

luise.volta

Thanks! (And thanks for your moral support this afternoon, Rose. I don't want to get into it but I appreciate your being there.)
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

lancaster lady

Luise :.............We are all here for you .......! ....I don't  know what's happening ,as I am being sent lots of old postings ,very strange .  Never forget how many ladies you have helped through this forum ,and we are here for you repaying your dedication with love and gratitude ......  :)

cadagi101

Luise my posts don't get through. yes your friends are behind you all the way,
love
Julia

gretchenw

June 19, 2011, 02:36:40 AM #5 Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:11:27 AM by luise.volta
Quote from: Rose799 on June 18, 2011, 06:03:07 PM
Interesting article; never thought there was an up side to having depression~

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=depressions-evolutionary

There is absolutely no evidence that people who are frequently depressed are better at solving problems.  In fact, exactly the opposite is true.  Second, depressed people have a complete lack of motivation.  They are not "ruminating" in any way that leads to meaningful answers to problems.

I have a PhD in astrophysics, and I will tell you emphatically that depressed people do not make it in my field.

gretchenw

cadagi101

June 19, 2011, 04:10:29 AM #7 Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:12:23 AM by luise.volta
Quote from: gretchenw on June 19, 2011, 02:36:40 AM
Quote from: Rose799 on June 18, 2011, 06:03:07 PM
Interesting article; never thought there was an up side to having depression~

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=depressions-evolutionary

There is absolutely no evidence that people who are frequently depressed are better at solving problems.  In fact, exactly the opposite is true.  Second, depressed people have a complete lack of motivation.  They are not "ruminating" in any way that leads to meaningful answers to problems.

I have a PhD in astrophysics, and I will tell you emphatically that depressed people do not make it in my field.

Many of our history's brilliant minds have suffered from depression

gretchenw

June 19, 2011, 04:47:00 AM #8 Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:23:25 AM by luise.volta
Quote from: Julia on June 19, 2011, 04:10:29 AM
Many of our history's brilliant minds have suffered from depression

This is true.  It is also true that many of our history's carpenters have suffered from depression.  My own carpenter does brilliant work when he is not depressed.

However, the scientific evidence is that depression and brilliance are anti-correlated.

Read:  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278584610003891

Pen

Well now I'm really depressed.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

luise.volta

I don't understand why it is, but we can't quote from another Website...all we can do is post a URL and comment on it in our own words. Something about copywrite law.

I find the subject really interesting because I really doubt if anyone totally escapes depression.

luise.volta

Julia: I am so glad to see you here. Missed you and have no idea why your posts didn't make it. Please don't give up!

LL: I also have no idea why you are getting old posts. I'm sorry. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Onward and upward. Sending love...

Rose799

Quote from: Pen on June 19, 2011, 06:58:31 AM
Well now I'm really depressed.

Hello & welcome, Gretchenw.  I believe heartbreak is responsible for much of the depression we read about on this site.  Have you any self-help suggestions for us? 

When I read the article, I thought of Abe Lincoln.  I don't know if what he described as being melancholy would be considered clinical depression.  Though he had good reason to be depressed; he also had deep insight & resolve as to which direction to lead the country.  I Googled his IQ - supposedly it was 128.

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on June 19, 2011, 07:37:38 AM
Julia: I am so glad to see you here. Missed you and have no idea why your posts didn't make it. Please don't give up!

LL: I also have no idea why you are getting old posts. I'm sorry. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Onward and upward. Sending love...

A couple of my posts didn't go either, but did after I selected "Preview." 

Rose799

Quote from: luise.volta on June 18, 2011, 07:13:02 PM
Thanks! (And thanks for your moral support this afternoon, Rose. I don't want to get into it but I appreciate your being there.)

After all you & Kirk have done for me over the past several months...no thanks are necessary, Luise~  Love you...