April 23, 2024, 11:51:29 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

What do you think of grandma baby showers?

Started by pam1, May 23, 2011, 02:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

I think that Pen's statement was a generalization and not directed at any single person.

I have to agree.. most humans pick and choose how we view something and our reactions, based on how it suits us at the moment... you see this is, in your face type of thinking often... but again I do not think that Pen was picking out you directly ow, not by any means.

holliberri

Yeah, I think we were all just giving opinions on a subject....that is what we do here. I don't think anyone meant anything personally.

LaurieS

ok.. can you tell I was distracted when I wrote that reply.. lol  .. I was busy creating a gift registry for myself :)

Pen

Quite true, I wasn't referring to you, OW. Just pointing out that as humans we tend to ignore some rules but are sticklers for others. Or, we expect more from some people than from others. For example, when I offered my SM Thanksgiving day left-overs she was aghast, saying that I was not following rules of etiquette, but didn't say anything when her own daughter offered her leftovers the following year.

Speaking of etiquette: http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/117810.html
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

Quote from: Pen on May 24, 2011, 08:07:30 AM
Quite true, I wasn't referring to you, OW. Just pointing out that as humans we tend to ignore some rules but are sticklers for others. Or, we expect more from some people than from others. For example, when I offered my SM Thanksgiving day left-overs she was aghast, saying that I was not following rules of etiquette, but didn't say anything when her own daughter offered her leftovers the following year.

Speaking of etiquette: http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/117810.html

Oh my god Pen.. of all people you should know better... you posted a link to a very very very questionable and unacceptable topic..

English language vulgarism most commonly used in reference to flatulence ... I think I've been edited and pubicly scolded for that 'word'

holliberri

Laurie, I don't think what Pen did was offensive, I rather thought it was funny. I'll take it down if someone finds offense, but it was a joke...not even a mean one.  I haven't edited anyone for using that word and I haven't scolded anyone either.

AnonymousDIL

If someone could invent a sarcasm font, they could be a multi-millionaire!

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

SassyDI

Oops if I hit report to monitor didn't mean to on my phone.  I for one found it funny

holliberri

SassyDI,

I think Laurie and I  were talking about this...I reported myself yesterday somehow.

These Droids are out to get us.

AnonymousDIL

Oh NO! It's Skynet all over again! When will the Terminators be arriving? Anyone have an emergency bunker for us to live in?

holliberri

I see what you did there. LOL.

...I'm also well-versed in the language of Laurie. Haha.

pam1

Check these out Adil.  http://disasterbunkers.com/photo-gallery.php  I read you can live there for 5 or more years with air and food.

One day I'm gonna get one.
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

Pen

Quote from: Holly on May 24, 2011, 09:37:49 AM
SassyDI,

I think Laurie and I  were talking about this...I reported myself yesterday somehow.

These Droids are out to get us.

LOL, I just texted my friend that I'd "be over in a jiff" and my D-uh Droid told her I'd be over "in a huff."
-- Annie Gottlieb