March 29, 2024, 03:06:49 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Happy Easter All!

Started by pam1, April 24, 2011, 05:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancaster lady

Send me some pics of the stuff you like , and I'll try to point you in the right direction ....hardest thing is how to start !! lol
ps. sold a painting yesterday from the exhibition ...woop !

LaurieS

what types of subject matter do you prefer?  I'll come up with an example of the glass.. saw it at the art show that I went to 2 weeks ago.. but the price was just staggering.. I know those shows are expensive and probably not out of the norm price wise.. just out of my budget :)

lancaster lady

Not sure what reverse glass painting is ....lol
I paint anything that shouts ''paint me ''
Seascapes , landscapes , still life ......sometimes I like bright colours , other times  a muted palette ....
Saw some nice rocks , they were painted like pieces of fruit cut in half ...very affective , and different .
Also like collage , and sometimes use encaustic wax .....anything really .
My work is sometimes contemporary , not too abstract though . to do that successfully you have to be very good .
The thing that goes here at the moment is called banded landscapes .....it's just bands of colour , with the odd splash of paint .
I'm sure you could manage those .
Is the glass work leaded stained glass ?
You've got me fired up now ...I want to paint ! lol
Haven't done much recently , due to being a zombie ..!

LaurieS

No need to be a zombie any more.. is there :)   This is the website for the glass painting that I just loved.. let me know what you think .. oh I did talk to the artist and he said that he lost a lot of his paintings when he tried to live in the Houston Texas area due to high humidity.. but then again I didn't ask what type of paint he was using.. he said that after the paint dried (which I assume takes for ever :) ) he put some type of clear coating/sealant over the paint.. he is calling it  Back Painted Glass and I think you need to give it a try

http://www.presteau.com

lancaster lady

Wow !!
Thanks Laurie , great site .Looked into his methods . He uses Acrylic paint on the reverse side of the glass .
Wonder how he hangs it ? didn't see any method of chains etc .
Acrylic paint dries very quickly , but as its on glass would be easily scraped off , hence the sealant , would be a varnish
I would think .
Maybe you would have to use plate glass , so maybe that's why it's so expensive .
You could start small to experiment , which I will do ....lol
you could reproduce his work on canvas easily and not have the hassle of the glass . however the with the glass you could
literally pour the paint on , the first layer would have to work , as you wouldn't see second layers , Acrylic is opaque .
Iwll have a go and let you see the result , hope you do the same ...:)
Have to find out how he hangs his work ...hhhmmmmm!

LaurieS

you know he showed me how it hangs... going by memory here I think he glued on a cleat system... I guess I could email him and ask.. he did say that his larger pieces that he will come to your house and hang them.. that sure wouldn't help to keep the cost in line would it :)

But isn't his work just beautiful... I have a pool room and thought if I could hang three of these across the back wall it would look so contemporary, and shiny .. I liked the blue ones that he had under the heading of installations I believe it was... get to practicing.. there is also glass pain out there.. might cost a mint buying it in the little bottles

pam1

omg, his art is beautiful.  I want that blue coffee table
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

LaurieS

Pam this art show would have been a great WWU outing.. all the artist were wonderful talented and made me wish I had a talent

lancaster lady

how much were the large wall pieces ?

pam1

I can't get over how beautiful it is.  I don't know that I could come back from that outing, I would have somehow gained access to the family account lol

LaurieS

ok LL memory here is not always what it should be.. I looked at a piece that was approx 16" wide and 48" tall and it was over 2,000 but he was willing to give price breaks if I bought more then one lol

lancaster lady

quite expensive , I reckon he would have to use plate glass ....is it the same name in the US ?
a much stronger glass for moving and hanging , hence the price .
you know he probably takes an hour or two for the painting max ! Great pay eh ?

pam1

I need to learn how to paint

Pen

If anyone is into photography, these photos remind me of the Presteau paintings. She also has some photos of ice as well as rock formations  that are truly amazing.

http://www.melodythomasphoto.com/waterphotos.html
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

LaurieS

with the new photo editing capabilities it's amazing what can be done with a photograph.. really pretty work Pen