April 16, 2024, 03:46:14 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Ladies, Please be careful

Started by seasage, April 18, 2011, 07:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

adil.. you and my daughter both... I asked her if it was due to boredom.. she said yeah well mom at least I know how much is in the account.. ok i'm bad about that.. but I think there is enough in there to cover my cc bill.. I hope :)

holliberri

I'm a rather obnoxious account balancing fiend too. DH told me he'd leave me if I didn't stop doing it right at the checkout counter.

But, I did catch that $3000 purchase within 25 minutes of it happening...and that was on Friday at 4:30. It does pay off sometimes.

LaurieS

yes it does pay off... I need to become one with my accounts.. it's just disheartening sometimes

Tara

Well, I'm impressed.  Are you frugal Holly? 

pam1

You guys are all embarassing me.  Is it awful that I only have an allowance debit card?  I have no access to a credit card or the main family account lol
People throw rocks at things that shine - Taylor Swift

holliberri

I like to think I am, although the mortgage payment and cost of daycare really has me thinking otherwise. I caught the $1.00 scams a few times too; particularly in Italy. If I didn't look, I'm not sure I'd have caught them.

I do sew ripped clothing and try to rehem/let out pants if I need to.  I do use leftovers a lot. But, I don't take the train (due to safety), so I spend a lot more than I should in gas. If DH and I go out to eat, I can't turn down dessert. LOL. So...I guess it depends. I've tried shopping at the thrift shops, but I was never able to buy something I half liked just b/c it was "deal." So, that hasn't worked out quite like I planned.

I even drove up to the Sam's Club where the transaction took place. I wanted videotape of the cash register the TV was purchased at. They told me it was between them and the bank.

Pam...are you really that bad!? LOL. That's too funny. Maybe your DH is too strict.  ;)

pam1

Yes, I'm pretty bad.  DH calls it my Toy Fund and doesn't want to see it lol.  It can get embarassing, I will be at the check out and they'll decline my card and I know it's because he forgot to put my allowance in so I start muttering that I didn't get my allowance while I'm calling him in front of the cashier....

holliberri

LOL. At least you're a good sport about it!

pam1

I'm better with money when I don't have it.  You got 20 bucks to last you to pay day next week?  You just come over here and I'll tell you how to get through it lol

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: Holly on April 20, 2011, 05:39:46 PM
I'm a rather obnoxious account balancing fiend too. DH told me he'd leave me if I didn't stop doing it right at the checkout counter.

But, I did catch that $3000 purchase within 25 minutes of it happening...and that was on Friday at 4:30. It does pay off sometimes.

That's AWESOME!!! You are my Idol! lol

AnonymousDIL

Quote from: pam1 on April 20, 2011, 06:58:39 PM
I'm better with money when I don't have it.  You got 20 bucks to last you to pay day next week?  You just come over here and I'll tell you how to get through it lol

DH and I each get an allowance (in cash) each week. That's it. I'm the finance manager so if he needs to pick up something and he doesn't have the cash to cover it, he always calls me to "okay" the purchase first lol

holliberri

Yeah, actually...that's a good point ADil. DH and I are BOTH on allowances. LOL.

Pam...does your DH have an allowance too?

pam1

No, but he doesn't spend any $$$.  The man will wear 10 year old pants with holes and the zipper not working -- to work!  He even still has shirts from when he was a kid, I think he may be a hoarder.

If he does want something he will always ask me though lol, like I know what the account looks like.  It's not really as bad as it sounds, I love it. 

holliberri

But, there are plenty of reasons to ask permission aside from money!

Dh seemed to think a great spot for a pull up bar was the doorway between the kitchen and living room. Yikes. Ugh.

pam1

He just doesn't do things like that, it's kind of weird.  He really does leave everything alone in the house, it's my domain.  So it's good in some ways but bad in others, I have labeled him "aggressively lazy"