March 28, 2024, 09:21:12 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Neat Gadgets

Started by LaurieS, March 01, 2011, 03:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

I'm such a sucker for neat little gadgets.... so is Holli, ask her about her zester :)   I just order something that I hadn't seen before.. kinda cool
http://www.chiasso.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=50163

overwhelmed123

That is so cool!  Wanna hear something sad?  I didn't know until recently that there was such thing as a garlic press.  I saw one the other day and was fascinated.  I hate my hands smelling like garlic for the rest of the night after I cook with it.  Ohhh, the little things!

I would love one of those tissue dispensers.  I hate having a box of tissues out...it feels like clutter.  Of course, I guess anything that was out would feel like clutter but this is cool so it gets a pass.

LaurieS

seasage

Quote from: overwhelmed123 on March 01, 2011, 03:40:29 PM
That is so cool!  Wanna hear something sad?  I didn't know until recently that there was such thing as a garlic press.  I saw one the other day and was fascinated.  I hate my hands smelling like garlic for the rest of the night after I cook with it.

To rid your hands of the smell of onions and garlic, simply rub them over your (metallic) kitchen faucet.

holliberri

Ditto what Seasage said, garlic gets all over my hands even with the press. Garlic breath is the one I can't resolve. Now that Mincer Twister thing...maybe it wouldn't then. IDK.

LaurieS

that's why I  open the jar.. carefully use a spoon.. remove the amount I want and presto change-o I have garlic and no mess, no bother, no smelly hands or facet

Tara

We use alot of Garlic, and I usually smash it with a big cleaver, but I like this, it might be a great gift for my dear friend
who is Italian and loves garlic also!

Well, I've been trying to figure out how to share this new beauty gadget that I got recently, I love it and even am getting my
dh to use it. 

http://www.amazon.com/Olay-Professional-Advanced-Cleansing-System/dp/B0043OYFKU

holliberri

I can taste difference between minced jarred garlic and minced fresh garlic, believe it or not. I stopped buying it. It was wrecking my pasta sauce. Of course, I was prego at the time, so maybe that was the problem. Still, I like my garlic press! It's almost as good as my old trusty-rusty handy-dandy zester (that's not really rusty).

LaurieS

Quote from: holliberri on March 01, 2011, 04:32:35 PM
I can taste difference between minced jarred garlic and minced fresh garlic, believe it or not. I stopped buying it. It was wrecking my pasta sauce. Of course, I was prego at the time, so maybe that was the problem. Still, I like my garlic press! It's almost as good as my old trusty-rusty handy-dandy zester (that's not really rusty).

not so handy dandy now that it's broken

Tara.. I would catch my dh cleaning the dishes with that thing

seasage

Still, I like my garlic press! It's almost as good as my old trusty-rusty handy-dandy zester (that's not really rusty).

I rarely use a garlic press - my 10" knife is quicker and easier to clean.  I need my zester!  But seriously, have you smelled a lemon lately?  Where is the smell?  And how do you remove that coating of wax?

LaurieS

Quote from: seasage on March 01, 2011, 04:57:30 PM
Still, I like my garlic press! It's almost as good as my old trusty-rusty handy-dandy zester (that's not really rusty).

I rarely use a garlic press - my 10" knife is quicker and easier to clean.  I need my zester!  But seriously, have you smelled a lemon lately?  Where is the smell?  And how do you remove that coating of wax?
Oh I buy that in a jar too

holliberri

Quote from: Laurie on March 01, 2011, 05:03:34 PM
Quote from: seasage on March 01, 2011, 04:57:30 PM

Oh I buy that in a jar too

I still am not great at slicing and dicing or mincing. I'd use a chop-it, but they're worse to clean than a garlic press. So, I press the garlic and slowly, unadeptly prepare my fruits and veggies.

I started zesting in Italy (no wax--banned in the EU). I had a lemon tree in Cali...so no wax then either. I didn't encounter wax until I moved back to Pennsylvania. I watched my g-ma: she filled the sink with warm water and two tbsp of baking soda. She soaks and then scrubs with a toothbrush, then air dries. I didn't even know there was wax on lemons here until she told me. I really thought the food was just prettier. I should have known.

Tara

Lucky you Holli a lemon tree in your yard! (in the past)

My sil has a meyer lemon tree in their yard and believe it or not they don't use the lemons!  When we go visit
they give us a big bag of them.

Pen

Lemon zest is amazing. We get organics from friends or the co-op.

Tara, I just saw something similar if not exactly the same as the Pond's gadget in the Costco mag today. I was thinking about getting it the next time I'm there. Do you think it's OK for (ahem) delicate aging skin?
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Tara

I bought mine at costco too.  Its probably the same.  I think its great!  my dh this week said "you have beautiful skin" which
he has never said before,  not that I had 'bad' skin.

It has two speeds so you can choose and it isn't too strong.  Oops I just realized I wrote PONDS but its OLAY!