March 28, 2024, 10:25:51 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Looking into my monitor.. Luise are you there?

Started by LaurieS, February 12, 2011, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

February 12, 2011, 03:14:52 PM Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:35:52 PM by Laurie
It's obvious when the little one line zingers do not show up for two days.  Circling around the PM system everyone is asking.. Where is Luise?

I've looked under my keyboard.. no Luise... I've looked into my computers dvd drive.. still no Luise. While I'm sure that everything is fine... we find this totally unacceptable little lady not to tell us when you are going on vacation without so much as a word.  And now you've gone and made me do it... I contacted Kirk and asked if his mother is ok.. hopefully he will reply here.... If I receive a PM I'll copy it to this thread.

Hoping that all is well with you and Val.. please check in with us. 

luise.volta

Here I am...here I am. Be back tomorrow. Had a scare re: my cornea transplant and have been resting my eyes since having some stitches removed. Honestly didn't know you would worry. Sending love...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

LaurieS

holliberri

Ouch, Luise. I hope you heal quickly! Can't wait to see you back on here...I've missed you.

JaneF

LaurieS

Now don't make us call your son again :)

When did life become so reversed?

Faithlooksup

Feel Better soon Luise~~You are our ROCK on here.....
Sending (((HUGS)))) your way...Faith :-*

seasage

Luise, you threw me a scare.  I'm relieved to hear it's not serious.

Laurie, your humor is charming and infectious.  And thank you for initiating this thread.

courtney

hahhaha, didn't think we'd miss you or be concerned!  I never read grabbag first...saw Luise, are you there, that alerted me....sorry you had a scare too with your eye...Thanks Laurie for getting us an answer...feel better Luise.      -courtney

luise.volta

Well, aren't I the lucky mama-bear! Thank you for your loving concern.  :-* I thought I could just step back and not worry anyone...and I worried you more.   :-X Lesson learned.  :-[

About 10 days ago, my left (cornea transplant) eye, started to burn. It was unusual but I wasn't alert enough to see it as needing immediate attention and waited for the burning to lessen and go away. It increased. I called my eye doc on Thursday and was seen on Friday because they don't mess with transplants. (Like I did.) I had been referred back to my original ophthalmologist after being tracked by my surgeon for four months post-op. It was the eighth time I have been handed from one doc to another in the five years since the shingles embedded themselves in my eye in 2006. And no, I didn't let the shingles get a head start back in 2006. In fact, since I am a nurse, I knew what the tingling was on the side of my face before it even erupted, saw my first doc that day and was under treatment before the sun went down. That may have prevented blindness or the virus traveling down the optic nerve into the brain and causing death. I thought I would be one of the majority who fully recovered...but that's not what transpired and the virus took up residency in the optic nerve-endings instead. Inflammation required steroid meds, the steroids caused glaucoma, the glaucoma meds caused hypertension and required glaucoma surgery (canaloplasty.) It just went on and on until a cornea transplant was done and I acquired a part of the eye of a a deceased person last Sept.

So, back to the present; what was wrong was that two of the16 stitches had loosened...(they are microscopic) and were scraping the inside of my eyelid when I opened and closed it. They are only removed if this happens and some are never removed. What kept me from suspecting that was happening is that Val had a cornea transplant in 1999 and he described his symptoms of stitches breaking loose and surfacing as having "something in his eye." That's my excuse for ignoring the problem and I"m going to stick to it. The doc did not accept it, of course, probably because he's heard them all, and I got a well-deserved lecture. After removing the two rogue stitches, he put me on a very strong eye-antibiotic, hopefully to prevent infection and rejection. I was uncomfortable and (after the fact) scared and so when he told me not to read for a couple of days, I left my computer turned off Friday and Saturday and disappeared" from WWU. I go back Thursday, if I remain asymptomatic until then. So far, so good.

I did let Kirk know...but I toned it down quite a bit.  ::) I know...I know...
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

seasage

Quote from: luise.volta on February 13, 2011, 08:27:38 AM
It was the eighth time I have been handed from one doc to another in the five years since the shingles embedded themselves in my eye in 2006. And no, I didn't let the shingles get a head start back in 2006. In fact, since I am a nurse, I knew what the tingling was on the side of my face before it even erupted, saw my first doc that day and was under treatment before the sun went down. That may have prevented blindness or the virus traveling down the optic nerve into the brain and causing death. I thought I would be one of the majority who fully recovered...but that's not what transpired and the virus took up residency in the optic nerve-endings instead. Inflammation required steroid meds, the steroids caused glaucoma, the glaucoma meds caused hypertension and required glaucoma surgery (canaloplasty.) It just went on and on until a cornea transplant was done and I acquired a part of the eye of a a deceased person last Sept.

Scary story.  My best friend has shingles that keep erupting.  I have had the shingles vaccine and thus hope to prevent anything like this.

I wonder how many of our WW know about getting a shingles vaccination after age 60?

LaurieS

I've had episodes of shingles.. and no doctor has said anything about a vaccination.. more info please

seasage

LaurieS

Quote from: seasage on February 13, 2011, 09:15:26 AM
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/vacc-need-know.htm

Laurie, I think you're too young!  Luise probably knows a lot more about this than I.
I'll lie and claim I'm older.. thought about doing that for a senior dinner the other day

Thank you for saying that I may not qualify based on age not because of the type of herpes that it is

holliberri

I tried to get it after my Shingles episode...my doctor told me no...but it could've been my age. They'll give it to you at CVS and Walgreen's if you're over 60.