April 20, 2024, 07:55:52 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

A little Valentine sympathy for DS/DH - the man in the middle.

Started by seasage, February 04, 2011, 11:03:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luise.volta

You think that the concept that we offer each other a great deal of support is crap? ???
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pooh

Thought I would share something I just found for DH for Valentine's day.  It's actually for us, but DH loves nothing more than when we do something together. 

It was a $50 special a local dance studio was running for Valentines.  2 private lessons, 1 everybody dance class and an after party.  He gets to choose the dance he wants.  They offer all types including ball room and latin.

Now, my DH loves to try new things, and likes when we can do something together, so he will love this!  I bought 2 things full of silk rose petals, and I plan on him finding a trail of them leading from the garage to upstairs, where I shall be waiting with his certificate appropriately displayed.  ;)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

Pen

Oh good grief, my DH is now sticking the acupuncture needles in his other eye.
Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

Joseph Campbell

Pen

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Pooh

Well he's missing out then! Lol.  But remember, I have the DH that took me on a date to the pottery place and we painted plates for each other.  He'll try anything once.
Joseph Campbell

luise.volta

MotherOf3

I'm sorry but I just don't get a mother wanting a Valentine from her son.  I have a 25 year old son and it never crossed my mind that he would/should get me a Valentine card or gift.  Seriously, I never even thought about it until I started seeing posts on the subject.

Valentine's day is for lovers, sweethearts, spouses.  Not for a son to his mother.

luise.volta

If you are talking about romantic love, of course you are right. However, children give Valentines to grandma and grandpa and that is about generic love in my book. There are many lovely Valentines that are for DIL, SIL, etc. I sent one to my DIL. I also sent one to three of my best friends. My son doesn't send me one and I don't send him one...but I would not be offended if he did. Just my take on this. I think it's perceptual and custom-oriented.

My son recently wrote me this: "My entire life I've had a Mom who loved me; one who is interested, is an excellent sounding board, has wise advice and has always been there at the best and worst of times. Not all that common. I'm grateful. Love, Kirk"

Who needs a Valentine?  :D

Pooh

He's such a good fella Luise. 

I am with Luise.  I wouldn't send my son one, but if a Mother just likes to send cards for every holiday, I wouldn't have an issue with it.  My Ex-MIL would send a card for every holiday.  I never took exception to it, because it was just how she was.  Now, if Valentine's was the only holiday and she wanted to spend it with my Ex-DH, I probably would have found that strange.
Joseph Campbell

Rose799

luise.volta

Oh, Rose I am so excited. Kirk is coming a week from today to stay for three weeks. They have a place 7 miles down the road, so he can have a retreat, but we still hang out often and it is just wonderful. I haven't seen him since October 10th when he moved me into my HUD apartment. Long time! My birthday is March 9th and he always does this every year. Then the both come for three months in the summer.  ;D ;D ;D

holliberri