March 28, 2024, 03:14:31 PM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

losing weight

Started by erma, January 09, 2011, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erma

ok ladies, here it is. our very own W.W.U. Weight Loss Club!!!!!  starting Monday, Jan. 10, 2011.... WE WILL JOIN FORCES, AND LOSE OUR ELBOW REST'S!!!! 
i will check in everyday for support and tips,, from all you wise women here, and to keep me in check.  and to report our progress and success's!!!
see you Monday!!
thanks Luise!  :D :D :D 8)

seasage

Count me in.  My best friend from high school lost 50# last year & a college friend lost 35.  All while I gained 20.  I need this support! 

Faithlooksup

COUNT ME IN.......Faith  ;D

luise.volta

I never was overweight the first 1/2 (42 years) of my life but I have been an accordion ever since. I'm 5 ft. 2 In. My closet goes from a size 6 (145 pounds) to a size 20 (205 pounds.)

In June, after that fracture and losing Val to nursing...I had climbed back up to 193. I went back on Nutrisystem which really works for me and I am currently at 173. I got down to 167 but didn't hold that line.

I really need exercise and feel I am ready to go back to Curves (my all time fitness fave) this coming week. As I wrote elsewhere, I am a groupie and do better with structure...thus my treadmill gained 10 pounds...all dust.

So, that's where I am. I will weigh myself, go back to Curves and do Nutirsystem as my plan "to become less in 2011."  And I will report in weekly whether I like it or not.
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. Dalai Lama

luise.volta

I posted the above elsewhere and moved it over here. Here's the one response I got...from our Faith.

Sounds like a plan to me Luise.....I am the same way as well I need others with me or someone to crack the whip so I exercise...and it is always so much fun doing it with a group than by yourself..inspiration at its best.....

Now, I am 5'9 (LOL~have not shrunk yet) and I am in a misses 16 which I am not pleased with at all!!!!!   2 years ago I was in a 12 and happy with that.....I have my 40th reunion coming up in July this year and would Love to get back in my size 12.

A friend of mine is a Nutrishinist and she tells me all the time...when craving sweets--go for oranges, pears and raisins.....But what is also important is to eat foods which "burn the fat."  Such as any type of nuts even a daily dose of cinnamon burns the fat......along with greens.

This is the year of me~~~~"lets go for it..."  But remember Luise, its always good to leave a few "Love Handles" available..... ;)    Hugs.....Faith ;D

seasage

Quote from: Faith_(via Luise) on January 10, 2011, 05:41:59 AM
Now, I am 5'9 (LOL~have not shrunk yet) and I am in a misses 16 which I am not pleased with at all!!!!!   2 years ago I was in a 12 and happy with that.....I have my 40th reunion coming up in July this year and would Love to get back in my size 12.

This is the year of me~~~~"lets go for it..."  But remember Luise, its always good to leave a few "Love Handles" available..... ;)    Hugs.....Faith ;D

5'9.  A respectable height.  I am 6'.  Used to be skinny, but as a six-footer, I have never fit into a size 12.  Oh - maybe you are talking about age 12?   Yes, in years gone by they didn't make tall girls' apparel, and so I had to start making all my own clothes when I was age 12.  Oh wait, perhaps you are discussing shoe size?  Certainly, 12 is my shoe size!!!

Faithlooksup

Hi Seasage!!!!!    A lot also depends on your bone struncture (frame wise that is)~~are you large boned, med, or small....?   My DIL is 6'1 ~~ really~~her Dad is 6'5...She is tall and Beautiful and wears a size 13 shoe~~really again.....!!!!  And I wear a size 11 shoe.....I have no trouble finding shoes at all, except in some stores, so I go on line to ebay and find great ones especially Clarks and Cole Haan which are so comfortable for me.  My DIL buys her shoes on line also and does get lucky at Payless as well.
Now she goes from a 16 misses to 18 misses a lot, but she exercises faithfully and carries her weight well, so she looks great for her height, she is large boned for a woman.....  I, on the other hand am medium boned, I have these L O N G  fingers and L O N G toes...And my Dr. will tell me~~ooops I guess you have been tipping the M&M jar over lately and of course I have.....

We simply are all different....I can remember having an awful time finding long slacks, jeans etc...and now when I buy tall in my slacks--sometimes depending on the maker its toooo long I cant figure that out.

I must simply continue to say NO to M&M's........Faith

Pen

Hi all. When I look back at photos from my childhood I wonder why I was always told I was chubby? I certainly wasn't skinny, but in most pics I'm in the normal range, healthy and vigorous. My parents rided me about my weight my whole childhood and beyond. Well, I guess it was the era of Twiggy (an anorexic British model, for those of you young'uns) and my dad was totally fat-phobic; mom had an eating disorder.

My thyroid is wacky; I've got Hashimoto's so it's up and down. If I get regular exercise, even on those days when I can barely peel myself off the couch, I feel so much better. Yesterday I went for a bike ride for the first time in 2 months. It's horrible to realize how out of shape I am, but it felt very good to be back on the bike. I will do something every day. Today is yoga and stretching, perhaps an uphill walk if I can get home from work/errands in time.

I will lose 10 lbs. by getting daily exercise of some form (yoga/stretching alternating with aerobics and weights.) A South Beach/Mediterranean diet works best for me, but I feel as if I've been doing that all along anyway, so it must be exercise and portion control that I have to pay better attention to. After the 10 lbs I'll tackle 10 more. I have to take it in small bits or I get overwhelmed.

Faith, regarding long pants I think they're now taking into consideration the very high heels some women wear. I'm glad I can finally occasionally find some jeans at the mall rather than online that are long enough, and I'm not even that tall! I'd rather hem than wear highwaters, for sure :)

Do you buy one pair for flats and another for heels? I rarely find 2 of the size/style I need or if I do it's when I'm broke :(

Respect ... is appreciation of the separateness of the other person, of the ways in which he or she is unique.
-- Annie Gottlieb

Faithlooksup

Greetings Pen,    Well when you are 5'9 you really do not need heels...at least I dont.  I think the tallest pair of heels I own are 3" and thats it so no I do not buy any longer slacks then.  They dont really make them any longer, tall works for me and that is the size I buy.   Now my DIL would go into Lane Bryant for longer slacks, and then if need be you just let the cuff down as far as you can.

Hope that helps.......Faith :)

luise.volta

I thought she said she was 59 years old...

erma

my post poofed into cyberspace.... :( 
i started today. I'm doing the no white food deal. and journal my intake. food is for fuel, food is for fuel, food is for fuel.........  :-X
i will exercise daily in some fashion. not outside for me today though. 2 feet of snow!!!   8)

Faithlooksup

Ohhhh Luise, I am NOT 59 yet.....Is it time for a new pair of glasses???  WOW, maybe I wrote it wrong---let me check, I need new glasses anyways~~NO i wrote it right....Luise--behave... ;) 

WOW Erma where do you live that you have 2 feet of snow on the ground  (Luise, I just know you want to comment on that one, in example~well, where else should the snow besides on the ground?????) :P

luise.volta

Behave? When pigs fly and swallows wallow!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pooh

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell