March 28, 2024, 08:45:26 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Let's Share~~"Holiday Recipes" ~ YUM...

Started by Faithlooksup, December 07, 2010, 09:03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieS

Quote from: Pooh on December 15, 2010, 12:56:05 PM
Thanks Elsieshaye!  I have never made them or had them.  Apparently something his grandmother used to make.
Tell you dh that she shared the recipe with no one and it died with her.  You know this might be one of those yummmm memories that doesn't pan out as an adult.

Pooh

Maybe, but he's so good to me, I will give it a whirl! Lol....TO MAKE! TO MAKE!  I'm not eating them....
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

LaurieS

December 15, 2010, 01:39:58 PM #47 Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:43:56 PM by Laurie
If the final product is disastrous,  take them to the office

I came across several variations: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/857/

Pooh

Thanks Laurie...I couldn't help but laugh that they also called them "Beaver Dams"
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -
Joseph Campbell

dablacks

Quote from: Laurie on December 14, 2010, 04:42:03 PM
That cake sounds divine.. but I have to ask about the ? mark under the 3/4 cups of water.... Is this like a secret ingredient, does this mean that I can add a little rum to the mix as well.. we'd have to call it the Anti-Dbl A.

Hi Laurie, don't know why there was a ? mark, I was trying to create a heart as I do in FB using the Alt key, then 3.  It works in my emails or letters fine but not in this application.

Just delete the ? marks, sorry for any confusion.

Pooh

Quote from: Helen0214 on December 07, 2010, 10:17:18 AM
Dear Faith:
This is one of the recipes I have been searching for many years.  I did not know what is was called and my friends had similar ones, but this one is the best I ever had at a friends many years ago.  Thank thank you.
My favorite cookie - - Is Melt in your mouth Shortbread.  They are true to the name and people just gollip them up.
If you go to google and type in "Melt in your Mouth Shortbread" you will find the recipe.
Another recipe I lost and cannot remember who was the baker "Rice Krispie squares with two other cereals"  I believe, not sure, if it was one of Martha Stewart's recipe.  If anyone knows the name, would please write back.
Thanks again, Helen

Helen, I made these cookies last night using the recipe Faith found.  Yum!  They are really good.  I will admit that after eating one, they are not very sweet so I mixed a little powdered sugar and milk and put a little sugar glaze on them.  That added just enough sweetness for me!

But anyone that wants something that is not overly sweet and really good, needs to try these!  They truly do "melt in your mouth."

Thanks Helen and Faith!
Joseph Campbell

Faithlooksup

Hi Pooh, I also had to agree with the Shortbread cookie recipe..I made them and they tasted so bland to me...then my neightbor stopped by and i offered her one, she ate it and replied, "did you forget to add something in these."  I had to laugh, so I added some Vanilla to the rest of the batter and then sprinkled powder sugar on top.  It helped and then it simply comes down to a matter of what you like....
Kathleen regarding your magic chef microwave~~my X and I bought the first one as soon as they came out back in the 70's and Magic Chef was the first maker if I remember correctly.  However, when it was time to buy a new microwave for myself I wanted and found another Magic Chef--they are built like army tanks and last forever...
Merry Christmas everyone...Faith

Faithlooksup

Laurie, I do not know if these freeze well...Perhaps try freezing a few and see what happens.  However with the active ingredients I dont see why not... :-\

kathleen

Better late than never---

I have a shortbread recipe from Scotland that calls only for sugar, butter and flour.  If yours is bitter it could be the corn starch---I then cut these in strips and dip the ends in chocolate and then in Heath Bar crunch crumbles (you can buy them in the chocolate chip section.)  Huge hit.

The chow mein noodle thing is a 50's recipe.  We used to do it with just chocolate and chow mein noodles.  (I then heard of a cookie that sounded even more awful made with potato chips.  Talk about having some trans fat with your cholesterol.)  By today there are so many other wonderful recipes, that I wouldn't waste my time with chow mein noodles, but that's just me.  I don't think I could take butterscotch in them. 

I made:  the flourless King Arthur chocolate cookies; date filled cookies; coconut-orange pyramids; Russian tea cakes; chocolate ginger cookies (smashed dark chocolate baked in, heavenly) and sugar cookies but not the kind decorated with the frosting.  My youngest son's favorite is the date-filled and I'm glad because at least there's some good nutrition in them.

Think that will hold them?

Merry Christmas,

Kathleen

Faithlooksup

Hi Kathleen~your shortbread recipe from Scotland sounds awesome~~would you mind sharing??? Thanks and HUGS, Faith

kathleen

Hi Faith,

Sshhhh---it's the day after Christmas and everyone is still asleep.  Ever since my third baby I am constitutionally unable to sleep past 9 AM---that's the new noon.

Better late than never, here's the shortbread.  I've been making it for 20 years.  It's from an old Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, before they
"sanitized" out all the fat from so many of their recipes:

Scotch Shortbread

Cream one cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.  Stir in two and 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour.  Chill at least several hours (does well overnight.)

Divide in half.  Press out the way you wish; I roll mine with a floured rolling pin, or you can press into a circle and cut triangles into the dough to be separated completely after baking.  I cut mine fully into strips before baking.  Don't worry if they aren't evenly cut; this dough is very forgiving.  Place on ungreased baking sheet; they will spread but only slightly, so leave a small space between each.

Bake at 300 for 30 minutes.  Don't overbake; they should be very light brown around the edges.   Cool slightly before you remove to racks.  Cool completely before decorating or dipping.

This year, I learned how to make an easy chocolate drizzle.  Put a package of chocolate chips into the top of a double boiler and add 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil.  Stir occasionally until melted.  I dipped just one end of the shortbread cookies into the chocolate, then dipped them into Health bar crunch morsels (also available in a package near the choc. chips.) I then stuck them in the freezer to harden the chocolate for a few minutes (they freeze well long term as well, however.)  These were a huge hit and nobody even missed the decorated cookies.

These cookies are great anytime, and the nice thing is the dough will keep in the fridge so if you have unexpected company, you can bake them on the spot. They also last a long time after baking (no eggs.)  Easy, easy.

Enjoy,

Kathleen

Faithlooksup

Hi Kathleen,  SHHHH I promise and I am tip toeing as well....Thanks for the recipe sounds awesome.  I am definiately going to try it ...Hope your Christmas was wonderful...HUGS, Faith :)