April 19, 2024, 01:26:56 AM

News:

"Welcome to WiseWomenUnite.com -- When adult children marry and leave home, life can sometimes get more complex instead of simpler.  Being a mother-in-law or daughter-in-law can be tough.  How do we extend love and support to our mothers-in-law, adult children, daughters-in-law, sons-in-law, and grandchildren without interfering?  What do we do when there are communication problems?  How can we ask for help when we need it without being a burden?  And how do our family members feel about these issues?  We invite you to join our free forum, read some posts... and when you're ready...share your challenges and wisdom."

Fat MIL

Started by catchingup, October 09, 2010, 11:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nana

Stilltren

Thank you for such an inspiring story.  I was very thin all of my life.  I was only 86 lbs (5 ft tall) when I got married.   And I was alway in the 90's for many years.  After some medical check ups I was diagnosed with hyphothiroid condition.  I was medicated for two years and it was controlled.  One year ago, I started gaining weight,  I am 107 lbs and feel a little funny because I now have some love handles.  I now realized that I am gaining weight because I am now at peace and not anxious like I was when I was active raising my children.  I feel great gaining weight, my dream come true.    I think that what is more important is the way we accept ourselves and what we have in our hearts.  Plus gaining weight have erased some of my saggy skin wrinkles lol. 

Love
Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove:
Shakespeare

cremebrulee

February 10, 2011, 05:06:53 AM #46 Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:11:29 AM by cremebrulee
Quote from: stilltryen on February 09, 2011, 03:03:04 PM
A story of perspectives ladies:

My aunt always complained about her weight.  "I wish I could lose at least 10 pounds," blah, blah, blah.  One day I happened to be at her house having lunch and she mentioned it again.  I looked up, rather astonished.  She wasn't hugely fat, maybe a size 16.  I supposed I'd always heard it, but never really focused in on what she was saying.  Typical teenager, always in my own world.  However, that day it resonated and I said something to the effect of, "Wow, I've never before really paid attention to your weight.  You're such a warm, wonderful, loving woman - that's pretty much what I know.  After that, what do you care about other people's opinions?  You're perfect to me and I'll bet you're perfect in the eyes of God." 

Fast forward 4 decades to about 6 months ago.  I'm on the phone with her.  Sad to say, she has lost weight, a ton of it to be exact, and is now a whopping 85 pounds.  She's dying of cancer.  She told me that I was the only one who ever said anything to her when she was fat that made her feel extra special.  She said, "You know, they say God always answers your prayers, just not in the manner that you think he might.  Guess that's true - but I would give anything to be fat again."  Be careful what you wish for...............

Makes me cry again just to think of her.

Bless your heart girl...that was the kindest thing you could have said to her...I don't see weight and I don't see color...I see a human being, in which I wait and observe, and if they are warm hearted people, then they are in my book, more beautiful then any model.....

Hugs to you....

I'm very very sorry....

Creme

Adding something else about today's kids....it's a shame, think back to when we were kids, we ran around the neighborhood, and had a ball playing kick the can, hide and seek, baseball, football, etc....we were extremely active, and always outside, even in the winter....we played hard....

Today, it's a different world, you have to be afraid to allow kids out by themselves.....and I don't blame parents for being afraid....oh, I'm sure there are still some areas of the country that kids are safer then others, but my GD would not be allowed outside by herself, if she were with me....and when I had her, we were active as well, went to the park, for walks, etc....